2019 Idaho DIY Mule Deer Hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dalton, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone,

I want to start by saying this is my first post in a couple of years, and its good to be back.

My uncle and I have been throwing around the idea of going to Idaho on a DIY mule deer hunt. I believe we would be hunting in Unit 27. My uncle used to be a guide in this area a few years ago, so he knows the terrain very well. The season there is any weapon from the middle of September to the end of October. I am wondering if anyone has ever bow hunted this unit? I would like to try for one with a bow, but my uncle thinks it is too open to get close enough. I was also thinking of taking a bow and rifle and maybe using a rifle the last couple of days.

What do you think about bow hunting this unit? Would you also consider taking both weapons?

2. Full Draw

Full Draw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m bow or bust. I’ve never hunted that unit but it’s hard for me to believe you couldn’t get close enough for a bow shots some point. I don’t know your comfort range with a bow though. I’m feel real good to 70 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Full Draw,
    Right now I feel comfortable shooting a deer at 60 yards, but I would like to expand my range a little more

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted bear out in the Boise National Forest between Idaho City and Atlanta this spring. Looks like it borders you unit 27. It is absolutely incredible country out there. We saw a ton of muleys, elk, and a few moose. If it is either weapon, I would take both but when we saw the muleys they were usually pretty close

5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son Lives up in Idaho but he hunts the Pioneer units. It is open country and he bow hunts. I'm going to go up next year and bow hunt elk for a week with him. Last year and this year I just went along with him for a weekend to glass and for moral support. Last year he got a deer. I don't know if this helps at all but I had fun just being out there with him.

6. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say if you want to go with your bow, to give it a whirl. I’ve never been into 27 before so I can’t help ya there, nor do I know their season dates. But I would look more to a hunt somewhere that let’s you go around the August 30th opener if you’re set on bowhunting.

For any general hunt though, you are probably going to be running into people at some point, as both deer and elk seasons generally coincide. Just keep your butt glassing and you’ll find deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dalton

Dalton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I mentioned this to the wife and she seem like she might be interested too! I could carry my bow and she could have the rifle to start out with. Then if she gets one and I don't, I could use the rifle if I wanted. This way I wouldn't have to carry both weapons!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Idaho mule deer numbers across the board are in the tank from winter kill the last few years. Considering your traveling a good distance and buying a NR tag I would head for greener pastures. By all accounts elk faired way better in Idaho the last couple years the mule deer.