North Dakota deer activity

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Buckhunter30, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Buckhunter30

Buckhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Heading to north Dakota in a week, wondering how the activity is, pre rut, cold weather have them moving?

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Aces11

Aces11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What part of the state will you be hunting? The weather had been cold, rainy, and snowy. Has gotten a lot nicer out and looks like it will be in the 50s next week. I am guessing you can catch a buck moving during daylight, especially if you are hunting a low pressured area. Haven’t seen any rutting activity. I would guess you will start seeing that in a week and a half to 2 weeks.

Buckhunter30 likes this.
  3. Buckhunter30

Buckhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out there the 27th thru the 2nd. Will be south east of devils lake.

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. - Theodore Roosevelt

4. Aces11

Aces11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That should be a great time to be there. I had to drive through that area a couple years ago right before dark and seen a ton of deer. Public or private land?

5. Buckhunter30

Buckhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I was hoping for some good pre rut activity. We will be hunting private land.

6. Aces11

Aces11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Should be fun! Hope you get a big one. Good luck and look forward to some pics.

7. Aces11

Aces11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also that area had a big snowstorm. I know Grand Forks had 19 inches. But I am guessing it didn’t last long and should be all melted.

8. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt homme dam area just about 40 miles north east of devils lake... the temps got really high this week... it was 75 on Thursday but they are going to drop back down next week, so they say. The weather in North Dakota is always unpredictable. One day it’s 35 and the next day it’s 75 and the next day it’ll be 50. So I’d suggest bringing lots of layering in case you need to add or remove them to adjust. Some days are 50 and right before dark it’ll get down to 35. Pre rut has started to pick up on my property anyways. Bucks have moved into fall ranges and are just starting to scope out does from what I’ve seen from my tree stand. I’ve got 3 shooters that are taking their time coming around and just last week I got pictures and seen from the stand 4 new bucks that are smaller around 120. That are on their feet all day already.