When to return to a food plot

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Western hunter, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey All, I am hunting in the west and have a food plot that I hunt and I have this old mature buck 4-4?that came in last night. This buck has been hanging around with about 7 other younger bucks and 5-6 does in our small area since May. He came in last night and I got a shot off at 55 that hit him but when I went to recover my arrow all I had was a tuft if hair and a little blood. I backed out and returned this morning to look for any trail I could find but I didn’t see any blood. There is a huge corn field next to the plot that the deer are staying in and come and go from. My question, do you all think he will return since it is such a small area and how long should I wait to go back and hunt?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure this is serious? Go back when you have the discipline to not take shots that long.

Fix and copperhead like this.
  3. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I can see where you are coming from. Out here in my area shots don’t arise often under 45. I practice 70 plus.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is about the limitations of a bow and arrow, and the size of the vitals from that range. I know I sound like an a-hole but what good does it do to sugar coat it. What is you bow set up? Arrow eight? Broad head? You hunting a blind or stand? Were there other deer in the area when you shot?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That’s fine. You didn’t answer my main question yet or are you solely concerned about my capabilities.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I edited my post and you probably did not see that.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    More questions how big is the food plot? Is it possible to move your stand or blind, or set up another?

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting around a food plot is like hunting small acre property, can't over hunt because you will burn it out. I usually have at least two stands on a plot. If you get busted by an old nanny doe in a stand she is now hunting you and will make a point to identify you. I usually leave that stand in place and move to another or put another stand up. I have watched does check the former stand while I was sitting in another.

Western hunter likes this.
  9. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The plot is pretty big as we are surrounded by corn fields. All the corn is cut but one field that they are moving in and out of. The plot is roughly 50 yards by 70 yards. That way I know anytime they enter the hay they are roughly shootable. I am the only one that hunts it and the redneck blind I bought is elevated on a stationary 8foot high platform. The blind can’t move but there is cover to where I can sit elsewhere in a wood pile and have my movements covered. This morning there were bucks and does in it, I could see them with my spotting scope. The big boy I am gunning for has only made two appearances since bow season began out here. And the first time he ate along the edge of the hay and a ditch riter pickup came by and spooked them. This time he came to 55 and I had a clean shot I just missed low as the hair was more white than dark. I don’t believe he is wounded other than a scratch. My plan is to leave it be for a week and check the cameras the middle of this next week to see if he is coming back in. I just wasn’t sure if now it is a lost cause due to the near miss or will he venture in one he gets more comfortable. Also I am hunting mule deer.

10. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My bow set up is a Hoyt RX1 shooting roughly at a speed of 293 (based on the speed test deal) Broadhead NAP killzone. At the time of the shot it was my goal buck and another younger.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have a place to move the stand or blind around the plot?

12. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I could move the blind if I needed to. If I do that and let it rest do you think that buck will potentially return it is he scarred beyond repair

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say but with the rut coming up there will be other bucks showing as well if you have the does.

copperhead likes this.
  14. Western hunter

Western hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that was my main concern. As sad as I am to have missed I’m glad I didn’t gut him and lose him in the corn. He will live to fight another day.

15. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In regards to your blind you should be ok to leave it where it is unless you feel you could move it to get a closer shot. You want to be careful not to educate the deer of your presence but they usually are wary of blinds when you first set them up. If you shot and missed and have not been bumping deer going in or out you should be fine to return a couple days later or sooner if conditions are good for deer movement. I have missed deer one morning and shot a deer that afternoon in the same stand. Just need to make sure they dont know you are there if that makes sense.

16. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree. Though you botched the shot, I don't see a problem with a shot at that distance. You have practiced for it and that determination of limitation is completely personal. There has been many a shot longer than 55 and there will sure as hell be more. I disagree with the mindset behind telling others their effective range. Ridiculous in my humble opinion. And no sota, thats not a dig at you :)

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    /gets popcorn for the show

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shane whitetails are not elk the area of a whitetails vitals at 55 yards are pretty small for even the best shot the energy left in an arrow at 55 yards is much diminished. I would venture to guess that the average hunters probability of recovering a deer with a 55 yard shot is well under 50%