Cold weather

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dstever33, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Dstever33

Dstever33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just trying to get everyone's option. Would it be better to spend more on cold weather camo, or cheap out a little on the camo and spend more and get a better layering system?

2. Inspector#12

Inspector#12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Really depends on where you hunt and how cold it is. I prefer to go with cheap to mid range water resistant clothing. Layering is great to adjust to weather conditions. Just make sure you can still draw and shoot effectively. I usually buy all my clothing right after season when everything goes on sale. Many times you can buy quality stuff at a reasonable price.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
    grommel likes this.
  4. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get some good extreme cold weather base layers for sure. I wear multiple layers for cold weather, two base layers, pants, hoodie, coat, etc. Either way works, as long as you're not too thick in layering to have mobility for drawing your bow.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO you can get some good base layers and layering pieces for relatively inexpensive. Good outer layers for really cold/windy conditions cost money. And if you don't have something that's going to resist weather on the outside, it doesn't matter how good your under layers are.

Here's what my late season layering looks like including costs.

- Minus 33 mid-weight Merino wool shirt ($66)
    - ScentLok Alpine Hoodie (Currently on sale for $50 which is a STEAL - 90% of my hunts I'm wearing this garment. It's awesome.)
    - ScentLok Revenant Jacket ($250)

BOTTOM
    - Minus 33 mid-weight merino wool bottom ($66)
    - ScentLok Revenant Pant ($25o)

That system gets me easily into the teens with comfort. If we start hitting single digits and below I'll usually add one more layer both top and bottom. On top I like a "puffy" piece with Primaloft insulation and on bottom some sort of expedition-weight base layer.

I think it's better to spend the money on the good outer wear and skip the really expensive layers. That Minus 33 stuff is very, very nice. A mid-weight Minus 33 merino wool shirt + ScentLok alpine hoodie is my go-to combo for pretty much everything down into the 30's provided it's not too windy.

iBowhunt likes this.
  6. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Build a good layering system. I rely on first lite base layers. You can’t go wrong with a good system built from the base layers up.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good layers are IMO essential. I love the merino wool stuff from Minus33. I have a light weight and an expedition weight set that I wear when the temps get into the 30s and below. As Justin mentioned, wind blocking outer layers are worth their weight in gold as well.

I buy all my clothing with the rut and late season in mind. Light weight clothing for early season is cheap. Good warm gear for late season is not.

If you're on a budget for clothing, that can be tough. I really do believe in clothing, you get what you pay for. I'd much rather buy a cheaper bow or arrows, etc,. than cheap out on my clothing. If your clothing won't allow you to stay in the treestand long when its cold, it doesn't matter what type of bow or arrows you have.

8. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been trying to figure out what to get for a layering system and I've seen enough now on Minus33, I think I am going to get some.

9. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020