Team 17 - Fear No Deer

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Shane0709, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I heard that I got a bunch of daytime pics at my primary location last weekend and I couldn't be here because I was on call. Sucks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. KCArrowSlinger

KCArrowSlinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready to head to property to grab our trail cams. With all the rain we've had in last few days the timber will be 4 feet under water by Wed. That means all our food plots will be gone. Hopefully we have the ladder stands strapped to the trees well enough to stay put. Not a great way to start the season.

3. BowhunterJeremiah

BowhunterJeremiah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All I’ve got is hogs in my camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well day 4 was a little more eventful for me. Nothing this morning, not even a whiff of a deer. So I went after lunch and did a little light scouting to reassess and get a new gameplan. Decided to try the ladder stand over the smallest field again for the evening sit because it is usually better at that stand when the sun is going down. About 5:45 a doe blew me and I just caught her flag waving goodbye, never even saw her before that. At this point the being what it was I figured it was a wash but I stuck it just because that's what we do. Lo and behold around 6:15 here walks in a decent little 6 and what's better he's heading directly towards me! Well I got everything ranged where I thought he was heading, he gets within 30 yds and disappears behind a tree so I range the spot he's gonna out, 28yds, perfect. Settle my crosshairs, he walks out and stops perfect broadside, I unleash my arrow!!! Nothing... he's still just standing there so I hurry up and pick up my rope cocker, get another arrow set, look back aaaaaand he's gone. Well sheeeeet. Clean miss at least, found my arrow, and he'll be a really decent deer next year if the ecosystem cooperates. Got back and checked poi and everything and it was definitely my screw up, must have just jerked I guess. He would've looked mighty fine in the skillet right about now too. Leftover alfredo it is! Day 5 tomorrow, hopefully I got all the sophomore mistakes out now lol

whitetailjunky3 likes this.
  5. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slept in this morning, no early bird gettin the worm today! Still was up and out the door by about 7:45 but I bumped 2 does getting to the ladder stand. Not much happenin so around noon I ran into town for some more ice because my liquid refreshes were startin to warm up. Came down and got set up about an hour ago for this evening. I'm sitting in some thick brush about 20yds away from a persimmon tree that supposedly have 2 or 3 good bucks eating it at. This little girl came by and visited but she wasn't enough meat to even consider so I just watched. Hopin her hanging out for a half or so right in front of me put some watching eyes at ease! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At least your getting time in the stand I was at work tonight and had 4 15 yards from me and couldn't do a thing! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tryin to squeeze everything I can out of this week, it'll be another week and half before I can get back out. Supposed to rain pretty good tonight into tomorrow afternoon but that's the head of a major cold front, 25-30° temp drops Friday! So I'm up this morning sitting and then I'm goin to try to find me a nice climber tree for an all dayer hopefully on Friday. WTJ I swear they know when we have a weapon and intend on doing them harm lol. That little doe came back off and on all night last night. Right before dark she walked straight up within 15 yds of me and was just hanging out and I was on the ground sitting in some brush. I went to walk out after dark thinking she'd moved on, get halfway up the hill and she's standing there in the field watching me. I was still trying to be quiet but I know she saw me and it never phased her.[​IMG]

8. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    COLD FRONT!! Rain should be done any time now, bout to hit the showers and get my behind out there! It was pouring this morning so I stayed in and got good and well rested for the weekend, 20°+ drop between last night and tomorrow morning! Now this is why I took this week off!

9. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We had some rain while I was away in Des Moines. It's cooler today than before I left as well. I sat in my lock on in the oaks this morning. Wouldn't you know it, they headed to the corn feeder! I had a couple of 1.5 year olds sparring about 30 yards away providing me with some entertainment. While I was paying attention to them a group of doe and fawns snuck in behind me and startled the living daylights out of me when they bolted.

So I'm back in the feeder stand this evening. The feeder is to my left, some good sized oaks in all other directions. We'll see what happens.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edit: Didn’t see a thing tonight. Weather getting interesting early next week. Should be about 20 degrees cooler ... that should be a good thing!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Rev glad to see you in the stand! I sat until almost dark last night, it was pretty windy though but about 6:15 the six I missed the other day came in with a wide little four. Assuming things go right for him that 4 is going to end up a nice deer I think. This morning it's a balmy 44° I'm up a tree and ready for some action on this temp plummet! Another 15-20 minutes and I'll be able to see... two score whitetail in a field I hope [​IMG]

11. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Came in and ate lunch then took a round on the rhino to have a look and regroup and found this rub between the field I've been sitting during the evenings and the next field up... wasn't there Tuesday when I looked around. Got the climber set up about 15 yards above it on the hill and the field edge, heading up there now to climb a tree! [​IMG]

Frankiecruzer and RevMS like this.
  12. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sat in the cold and rain yesterday and today in the evening. Saw nothing yesterday. Today I had two deer come in at 7:00 ... right at sunset. Here in Texas legal shooting hours are until half an hour after sunset, so these deer were fair game.

The first one that came in was a particularly ugly buck. Based on his body size and mass he is at least 2.5 years old, maybe 3.5. The second one was a yearling buck ... the kind of spike you watch and just enjoy.

My concern is that in most cases I would have shot that funky buck as a call and not thought twice about it. But being a part of the team here this year caused me to let him walk due to the fact that he wouldn't have likely scored anything. He had heavy antlers, but was a spike on one side and a fork on the other.

Just wanted to make sure of the rules ... I think I'm reading them correctly that any buck you take first is your scored animal for the contest. Am I right?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'm glad I didn't take that funky spike yet. Was out this morning and he came in again along with the same yearling spike. As I was watching him a young 8 point came in and they fed together as it was getting light. A short while later they all stood at attention and looked off to the south. A nice buck that was on my hit list last year ... who I hadn't seen but on a trail cam back when he was in velvet came in.

He didn't give me a shot opportunity today, but it was fun watching him and it's good to see that he's still around!

Here's a composite shot of him in velvet from last year (on the right) and this year. He didn't change much from year to year, but I'm guessing he's a 4 or 5 year old at this point and he'll score a bit better than 50. He's filled out quite a bit from this mid-summer photo as we're a couple of weeks away from the rut here.

ThumbUp7-2018&8-2017Velvet.jpg

14. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yea he's a good lookin deer Rev! My opinion is don't worry too much about the competition, it's just for fun. After last week I'm shootin the next one that gets in range lol. I've got the work phone again this weekend so I won't get out but next week I'm off Thursday and Friday for a 4 day weekend to hunt. Thinkin about taking the climber over to the other side of the ridge next weekend, saw tons of sign down near the creek last sunday before I came home.

15. BowhunterJeremiah

BowhunterJeremiah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been to busy working on guns and selling bows weather will be nice this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Argh! Was out this morning and had my number one buck (the one in velvet in the picture I posted above) come in. He seemed on fairly high alert and every time he got close to a position where I felt confident in my shot (remember, I'm shooting a 40 year old Bear Whitetail Hunter that's about the size of a refrigerator ;)) he would detect something wasn't right and would get skittish and move to a spot where I had no good shot. Here's a screen grab from the video I had rolling at the time he was in the feeder pen at about 15 yards from my stand which is where I want him to be to take the shot.

Thumbs Up 10-20-18.jpg

I'm guessing he's either a 4.5 or 5.5 year old and will score out about a 120 or so.

Sunday night is my next opportunity to get out ... I think I'm going to try a different ranch out of a ground blind and try to get a doe with the old Bear then come back after this guy with a bow I have more confidence in at slightly longer ranges and in positions other than a pure broadside shot. He gives me a lot of good 20 to 25 yard looks that are quartering to or away as he's approaching the pen or at the far end of the pen.

17. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. whitetailjunky3

Dislikes Received:
    Just smoked a doe boys

19. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice way to get us on the board! I'll be back at it starting on Thursday morning. Hopefully moving to a new area of the farm will yield some better results for me this week.

20. whitetailjunky3

Dislikes Received:
    It was a button buck but couldn't see antlers they were about 1inch long but he was big bodied thought it was a doe. I will post pics and story later guys! Thanks