Ground Blinds

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by davidingle, Oct 17, 2018.

1. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Price not being a factor, who makes the absolute best ground blind? Wanting something that is super light weight (so probably not a double bull) and also stupid quiet.

StanfillKY likes this.
  2. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to ground blinds it seems to me that weight = quality. If you're looking for super light weight you're generally going to sacrifice the quality of the materials it's made from.

To be honest, I've been very happy with my Mantis 3 hub blinds so far. I've had to alter the windows a bit to make them larger and more comfortable for me to film/shoot from but outside of that they're pretty sweet. Very high quality material, easy to set up, easy to brush in and hide due to their shape, and tons of room inside. My biggest gripe is that the windows are a little small and there's a lot of dead space between some of them. But like I said, a few modifications at home and it's pretty deadly. And they aren't all that heavy either.

StanfillKY likes this.
  4. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I was looking at those ones too. Do you know if the mantis 2 has enough room to run all hunting gear along with a full filming rig? 7 pounds is quite the difference in weight

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The Mantis 2 has plenty of room - we just find that the windows are too low to shoot out of unless you're on your knees. The 3 has higher windows at the right height. Although I suppose you could alter the windows a bit to make them work. I cut the windows larger in my Mantis 3 then used a commercial stapler to fold the material back and staple it together. I also cut out the entire support between the two main windows I shoot from and took a section of a Lone Wolf strap then stapled that in it's place. Opened things up considerably and makes it a lot easier to both shoot and film at the same time.

Why the big concern about weight? You packing this thing in and out with you?

StanfillKY likes this.
  6. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I've got a piece of public I want to get to but its about 2 miles in and it gets thiccc at some points. Its in an area with a bunch of scrub willow trees, nothing a stand can be hung in. So yeah it will be in and out each time but I suppose my xop and sticks weigh in around 20 so it wouldn't be much more weight with the mantis 3

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ever give thought to just setting up a natural blind with some sticks/limbs/etc? Or a ghillie suit? Seems to work for The Hunting Public dudes pretty well.

cantexian likes this.
  8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't the general thinking to let a blind sit for a while to let the deer get used to it being there? Something strange (brushed or not) just showing up in their woods would keep them on alert, wouldn't it?

9. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I think I could pull off the ghillie if I had Ferenbaugh's hair or some of those "mustaches". Joking aside, up until now I have been using a blind stool and natural cover but I thought a blind might be better for concealing movements while adjusting camera/getting bow ready, etc.. They usually have a dedicated camera man so the hunter can focus 100% on making that shot and not getting detected.

Justin likes this.
  10. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure.. The only time I've hunted out of one was on a late season antler less tag and we only used it so we could through a buddy heater in it. Brushed it in well and the doe I arrowed never noticed it. Maybe just sticking to natural cover would be best in the case of mature bucks though

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I will say the Mantis is great for "same day" sits as it does blend in very well to it's surroundings. That's definitely one of it's strong points.

Just get a wig and a fake mustache - you'll be all set! lol

Swamp Stalker and davidingle like this.
  12. bowhntr4life

bowhntr4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ghost blind! I hate sitting in a box watching life out of a window.

13. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really thinking about getting a mantis 2 for next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Baronett Big Cat 350 and love it. It's big enough to put 3 people in if needed and 6' 6" tall in the center so great for standing shots. Windows have elastic loops so no Velcro or zippers to make noise opening and closing. Although the elastic on the loops does get stretched out after a while but still functional. Has 2 small gun ports if you are interested in gun hunting. Windows are very configurable and I've even used some small binder clips if I want a window a little smaller or bigger to get them open or closed just at the right size. Has a zipper door that goes all the way to the ground and if you want to be quieter and not use the zipper, I've used some large binder clips to keep it closed and works just fine.

It's not super heavy but not something you want to pack in and out every time you hunt for sure. Comes with a nice carry bag too. $173 right now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Barronett-Bl...9835632&sr=8-1&keywords=barronett+big+cat+350

15. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After reading your above posts a little more I'd recommend taking in a blind and leaving it there if you feel it will be there when you get back. I don't know of any blind that is super quiet to set up and that could be the downfall with trying to set something up and hunt from it the same day each time. If you want light, you're gonna have to go small but as JZ said you might sacrifice quality.

If it were me I'd probably spend some time putting together a nice natural brushed in blind. It's less likely to be recognized by deer, other hunters and will be perfectly quiet to slip into in the morning or whenever you go. It might not be plush like a regular blind but worst case you are only out some time if it gets messed up for some reason.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on it but whatever you decide, best of luck!

16. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What about a Ghost Blind? I don’t know what they weigh but being a mirrored type blind I don’t think they would attract attention of being placed and hunted out of the same day as they reflect their surroundings like a hub blind would.

Just a thought!

Ldsturg likes this.
  17. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    I've been going at it on the ground without a blind so far this year on public ground and haven't spooked anything off yet. Haven't shot any either. Last year was a whole 'nother story. I did shoot one from the ground and also missed 50 yard muzzleloader shoot on what would have been my PB deer, but I also spooked off a ton of deer. I think I was also being way more aggressive with my locations I sat in. I'm gonna stick with it because I think it is very underrated but adding a camera into the mix makes it way more difficult.