Chestnut trees

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TyKawell86, Oct 17, 2018.

1. TyKawell86

TyKawell86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone had any luck growing Chestnut trees in WI? Pepin/Dunn county area

2. arpy00

arpy00 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have planted about 100 Chestnuts over the last 8 years at various locations on my land. Here is the current status- All Dunstan variety trees died the first year. The pure American variety, 2/3rds survived and have for the first time- produced burrs this year. The Chinese variety had about a 2/3rd survival rate as well, they are too young to produce and burrs at this point. The Hybrids have had about a 90% survival rate- they are also too young to produce. I tube them for the first couple of years then fence them in after that. I plant about a dozen each year, replacing anything that does not survive and adding to the "grove". As I am out of room, I will see how things fare from here. As I mentioned this is the first year the trees have produced fruit (yay!) and they were the ones I first planted. Not sure why the Dunstan's did not make it...they were expensive so I did not try them again. I have bought the trees from all over...just looking for a good deal. I know the American variety has a expiration date with the blight..will see if the Hybrids survive and produce. I am located in LaCrosse County, and my land is on top of the ridge. Hope that helps.

BlueCopper and greatwhitehunter3 like this.