RACK AND ROLL! TEAM 14!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by kjstaudt86, Aug 13, 2018.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, I'll hopefully be hitting the tree tomorrow if not though Friday for sure to hopefully add another 50 points for us here and earn a second buck tag in an urban zone here in IN. Anyone else getting this awesome cold front moving through?

early in, kb1785 and Josh/OH like this.
  2. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's arriving here as we speak... but my next day off is 10 days away. :sad:

kb1785 and tynimiller like this.
  3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Still very early brother....lot of game left!!

Josh/OH likes this.
  4. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the rain has moved through by this evening I will get in a stand for a couple of hours this evening and then try again in the morning for 2 - 3 hours. Going to the farm to work Friday evening and Saturday although they have been seeing a great buck at the farm sooooooo, Saturday morning I may just have to take my climber and sneak in a few hours.

early in and Josh/OH like this.
  5. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    tynimiller likes this.
  6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Went out looking for a doe and saw a ton at last fleeting light but than.....got pegged and blew at quite a few times....hate does, hate hate hate

Josh/OH likes this.
  7. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went last night and took advantage of the north wind after work. I saw a small 2.5 year old 6 point that just would not leave my section of woods at dark. I ended up getting all my equipment together and he was still browsing and eating 20 yards from me. I won't be hunting this weekend as temps look to get back in the mid 80's with a terrible SSE wind. I'll be doing some duties with the wife this weekend. Good luck to all that are hunting this weekend!

Josh/OH likes this.
  8. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't posted much lately. Work has been keeping me running. On a good note the Duck hunt opens here tomorrow. I'm just waiting for Thanksgiving week to get here so I can Hunt Deer agin

Josh/OH and kb1785 like this.
  9. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Had a fairly productive sit last night, 5 does and a small buck. Decided to go out this morning and was covered up with deer. The stand I have been hunting has always been a better morning stand than evening. It is a travelway from a food source to bedding and they start filtering out of the food source about daylight and as was the case this morning about an hour after daylight to their bedding area. With the cold front had a lot of action with about 12-14 does and about 10-12 bucks. Honestly lost count as 2 bachelor groups of bucks came in at the same time with a lot of sparring, snort wheezing and posturing. No real serious fights though. Had one good 8 pointer that I think would score about 130. I have one real similar on the wall and he scored 135 and a nice 10 pointer that would probably score in the low 140's. I could have had a shot at either one but it was a bit too early in the season and I know there are some bigger deer around. I have kind of kicked myself after I got out of the stand for not taking a shot at one of them. The 8 had my attention as I just love a nice 8 pointer and I posted a pic I took of the 8 with my cell phone. Didn't get one of the 10 as I had my bow in my hand and deer all around me and just couldn't make it all work. Great morning and got the excitement going.

Attached Files:

Josh/OH, early in, kjstaudt86 and 3 others like this.
  10. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven’t posted very recently. I’ve been busy with work and a sick kiddo this week. I’ll be headed out to sit tomorrow morning, it’s rained off and on all day today with a high in the mid 50’s. It’s pretty much rained the last 5 or 6 days in general. Should be in the high 30’s to low 40’s through tomorrow’s sit. Corn has been harvested for about a month now so I plan to sit between some white oaks and bedding tomorrow morning. Haven’t been out since my buddy and I harvested those doe’s so I’m pretty pumped to get back into a stand. Good luck this weekend everyone and be safe! -Simplman-

early in and Josh/OH like this.
  11. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally back in a stand this morning and it feels great! Checked cameras last night and not much buck activity at all, not even small ones. Plenty of doe which will be good later in the season hopefully. I’ll let you guys know if I see anything this morning.

early in, kb1785 and Simplman like this.
  12. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a pretty good hunt this morning, ended up seeing a really small yearling doe and 2 nice 2.5 year old 8 pointers. All of them would have given me a 25-30 yard shot, just not what I’m after. Back out in the stand now we’ll see how the evening hunt goes.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Up tree presently....waiting for something without antlers to come by...

Josh/OH and kb1785 like this.
  14. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a nice sit this morning. Had a couple spike bucks pass by at 30 yards and a four point go by also. Wasn’t expecting a lot out of a mid October hunt, just nice to get out and sit in the quiet of the woods. Also had an owl perch up maybe 5 yards from me. That seems to happen every year, they are kind of fun to watch. Good luck with the hunts everyone! -Simplman-

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'll have my choice of days to hunt through Nov 20th! :tu: That'll cover the entire rut, so I won't have an excuse for not killing a buck. :biggrin:

16. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Expecting our 1st frost this week or so the weatherman says. I am going to try to get a couple more mornings in and maybe a couple of afternoons. With the rain today it won't be today but it looks good for the rest of the week. If I get some of the bucks that I had the other day tempt me again I may be tagged out. We shall see.

early in likes this.
  17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any team members that have been silent and Mia? I'll take some time and send emails to em if we got any?

18. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I think from looking at the list most have checked in recently. The two that havent have been djandy (last seen 10/6) and dustywilmuth (last seen 9/30)

19. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Our cold front is pushing through texas as we speak! going to drop the temps 20 degrees below where they typically are this time of year. The weather looks promising for us all week and maybe with another front coming in this friday. If work is slow, I'll be in the stand all day friday, saturday and sunday morning! It's happening this weekend for me fellas, I can feel it! :rock:

20. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Went out yesterday morning for about 3 hours and then again last night. Both times I saw a bear, one in the morning and one last night. Those things are such a nuisance and destructive. Talk about putting the deer on high alert. Any deer that came through after the bear passed by was beyond cautious. I do have a bear tag and if one give the opportunity he will get an arrow flung in his direction.

P&YChaser, Oldcarp and early in like this.