what range do you feel the most confident shooting a deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by boonerville, Oct 11, 2018.

1. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like an odd question maybe....closer is better right? But I was wondering if there is anyone else who has a specific yardage range that they feel is their "sweet spot". For example, me personally; I cannot explain why or how this is the case, but I feel more confident at 40 yards than I do at 30. When i practice, my 40 yard groups have always been tighter than my 30 yard groups. I can't explain why that is. In real hunting scenarios, I have missed deer in the 25-30 yard range several times. But when I shoot at a deer at 40-45 yds, I am absolutely deadly. My very first bow kill was at 40 yards. My first racked buck was at 45 yards. My first really big buck was at 45 yards sitting on my butt in a corn field. My opening day buck last year was at 45 yards. I have shot countless does and several other bucks at 40-45 yards. That range just feels "automatic" for me. I get nervous when they are at 30.

JGD and Shocker99 like this.
  2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Boonerville, I have the same problem at 30yrds, cannot explain it. I shoot better at 40 than I do at 30. Mind you this is shooting at a target and not a live animal. When it comes to deer I usually keep it inside 30yrds.

My theory with my 30yrd problems is the size of the spot on my target, at 40yrds my pin covers the whole spot but at 30yrds I kind of float around inside the spot. Hard to explain but the problem is real :)

Planopurist, JGD and boonerville like this.
  3. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It definitely varies for each person. I drew back on a doe at 43 yards last weekend and then let down on her. Perfect, broadside shot too. Just felt like taking a 43 yard shot for a doe wasn't something I wanted to do, and not for a lack of confidence in the shot at that distance, but rather the consideration that a lot can happen in 43 yards. Had it been a bruiser I would have taken the shot. Nearly all of my shots on deer are under 30 yards, but practice out to 60.

4. BowhunterJeremiah

BowhunterJeremiah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t shot my new bow at distance I typically don’t have a shot no farther then 30 yards. But if I have a clear shot and the animal doesn’t know I’m there I’ll take one up to 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My last three bucks have been at 12-18 yards. As far as comfort level yardage, I made a great shot on an antelope at 4o yards, stuck an arrow right through a bobcats head at 35 yards. I practice at 60 yards with good 2-3" groupings and only because it makes me confident at 30 yards which is my max range on whitetails. I am going elk hunting next year and my guide has already told me if I am not proficient at 60 yards don't bother coming. Growing up in Missouri and hunting the woods I never really worried about long range shots and Oklahoma has some wicked wind so I have always aired on the side of caution.

Anthony2991 likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    25-30 yards, will pass on a close shot under 15 yards.

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same way, I like 20-25 and around 40. Same with golf, I hate those 50-100 yard shots but love 100-120 yards

TheHardWoods913 and JGD like this.
  8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20-25 for me. I like ladder stands at ~10' tall. Any closer than that and it's rough to get drawn on a deer, any further and I can have trouble seeing the arrow POI back in the darker brush not to mention potential limb obstruction/deflections. If I can get a deer I like in that range at broadside or slightly quartering away...it's in serious trouble.

9. scottyprice85

scottyprice85 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Typical all my shots are under 20 yards. However, took a buck at 41 yards this year. Had 100% confidence in my shot and equipment. 40 yards is generally where my groups are the tightest and most consistent. I also practice at 10 yards and all the way out to 80 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot past 30yrds, but all of my kills have been 25yrds or under. Closest was about 8yrds with an extreme angle, but took out a lung and the heart. He's on my wall. :tu:

JGD and Longdraw like this.
  11. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im comfortable no further than 35 yards, and thats on the cusp!!

12. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20 and under is my bread and butter with my recurves or longbows but I prefer 10-15. Everything needs to be perfect for a twenty yard shot in the woods. Passed a lot of deer at 18-22 cause the slightest thing wasnt in my favor. The buck I shot this year probably gave me 3 or 4 shots at 18 yards until stopping broadside at 13 yards. I've gotten a lot of patience this year

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m the same way. My sweet spot is 35-40 yds. Don’t know why. At 40 yds I stack em. At 30 or 50 I’ve got a 2-3” group

boonerville likes this.
  14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I think I shoot better at 60 than I do 30. For some reason 30 yards is my weakest. Drive tacks all day long at 20, shoot great groups at 40, but just average at 30.

boonerville likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most confident? Give me 12-15 yards all day long. I live for those shots.

JGD and virginiashadow like this.
  16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My average kill has been 17 yards. Max has been at 28 yards and I limit myself to 30 yards for deer. Never had the chance to shoot farther at a deer. I prefer 15-20 yards from a tree stand and under 30 from the ground.

early in likes this.
  17. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Guess we are talking white tails from some kind of stands.....in that case top pin all day. That said i have killed a few good whitetail bucks in the 40 yardish range without issue.

on the ground stalking game like I would rather be doing ...then I take the first good shot at 40 or 50 at undistrurded game rather then risking alerting them at 20 for an " easy" shot.

JGD likes this.
  18. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like 10-20. Farthest shot at a deer I've taken was 33. I practice out to 90. That's about as far as my sight will adjust without contact, but 45 is as far as I would attempt a shot at a whitetail.
    Honestly, I've never understood this reasoning. Everything that can go wrong with a doe can go wrong with a buck. My personal max applies to either or. Different strokes I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cantexian and JGD like this.
  19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    15 and under

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Between 10 and 20 yards. Most of my permanent stands are set up 15 yards off trails.