Scent Control Spray Smell

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DickensCPA, Oct 10, 2018.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll hedge this first off with I don't have an opinion on scent control other than hunt the wind. From 6 years old to now 46 I've never matched camo, used scent control or anything. Not against it, probably more of a cheapy I guess. I'd also never shot a buck in my life until 2017, but that was only because the landowner made it a prerequisite to hunt it. I don't do taxidermy, like I said I'm a cheapy and just eat. I always let bucks pass for the others on that property who would get the most enjoyment out of a big buck.

Any ways I bought some hunting related product back in August and it came with a free bottle of scent control and one big free refill bottle. Thought what the heck. Put it in my climber bag a couple Fridays ago and climbed a tree. It was 96* outside and I noticed the scent spray stayed cool in that bottle. I'm not a real big sweater but sure was that day. So every so often I'd spray down with the cool liquid in the scent spray bottle.

45 minutes before dark had deer come inside 30 yards. Kinda knew they would because it was my first sit and my camera showed them there every day about the same time. I didn't shoot. To be honest I had started feeling very nauseous and knew I wasn't up to gutting and hauling a deer out. I was smelling a STRONG raw bleach odor and really got a bit light headed.

When I got in my truck to leave, it was my clothes. I had to run the AC to stay cool but roll the windows down. My clothes smelled like when you wash sport socks or whites in pure bleach - like when you take them soaking wet out of the washer and transfer them to the dryer.

Is this common with scent sprays?

2. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Which scent spray was us? We always use a scent killer before walking into the timber. Been using Scent Killer and Dead Down Wind for years, and rarely, if every get winded by deer. Hunt the wind, spray down once before walking in, and use a scent free laundry detergent on your camo and you'll be good to go.

3. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats an interesting read for sure, who knows what they really put in that stuff other tban what that label says. Its got to control of kill scent somehow so maybe your onto something with the whole bleach thing. I sometime give my self and my equipment an extra squirt on a day I'm sweating which is why I quit hunting in the damn hot heat. If you figure it out let us all know

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What brand was it? Some like dead down wind can go bad and turn from clear to brown.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People do have adverse reactions to bleach smell..and if it got on your skin it probably was absorbed. Whatever the substance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also. If it was 96 degrees I guarantee you were dehydrated and when a person is dehydrated they become nauseous and light headed. Add that nasty smell and your body was probably in a tail spin.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    It was Super Charged Scent Killer 99% Odorless Formula. I opened the cap and it's bright white in the bottle.

8. DickensCPA

Dislikes Received:
    I had a 20 oz Dr Pepper and a 2L camel bak on - dropped my Dr Pepper after one sip and then proceeded to knock my Thermacell off the clip. LOL! I was like a Keystone Cop out there.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be and neither is my hearing after all the guitar playing but I got a nose like a bloodhound. My Mom and I both have really strong senses of smell. It can be a smell I like but get overpowering to me real easy where others barely or don't smell it at all.

It REALLY brought back a memory of when I was a teen working fast food and we would bleach the floors every Friday at closing. I could taste and feel almost a swelling in my throat. When I got into my truck with the AC on and windows up I thought I was going to pass out. I had to pull over in someone's driveway and drive home with the windows down. It was STOUT.