Team 17 - Fear No Deer

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Shane0709, Aug 13, 2018.

1. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The acorns are falling like rain here. Deer aren’t very interested in corn feeders while they have acorns to eat!

I went out at noon and set up another ground blind to see if a different location might bring more success. I’ll be in it tomorrow morning.

2. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ours seem to be hit or miss this year so far. Some places the roads are brown and crunchy from the oaks overhead and other trees still have green or very few acorns. Hopefully the whites out at the farm are dropping like crazy!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In 24 hours I will finally be on my way to the farm for my week of nonstop hunting action!

4. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

I had a good morning sit. I went to a new stand I put up near the edge (slightly inside) of an oak grove just a 100 yards or so from my feeder. I've got an XOP (Lone Wolf clone) lock on that I put up quickly a couple of days ago when I realized that the deer were on the acorns. I positioned it in the center of a live oak about 12 feet up in the air facing the outside of the grove so I had a nice shooting lane to an area where I saw deer moving when I was sitting near the feeder.

Well, long story short, I picked the wrong direction to face the stand. Instead of coming to my left as planned, the deer came in from my right and behind me. I had about eight or ten deer - several spike bucks, a couple doe, a buck fawn with one of the doe, and two doe fawns that hadn't quite lost their spots with the second doe. The spikes were more than willing to go into my shooting lane, but the does stayed behind me or to my right where I had no lanes cleared (and no really good way to turn to face them without a couple of the 20 or so eyes around me picking up on some movement.

So once they were gone I got out of the stand, broke off a dead limb that was in the way, and re-positioned the stand to the other side of the trunk and up another 3 feet.

An hour later the does and their fawns came back (at least I think it may have been the same does, the fawns matched up with what I saw earlier) only the does didn't come in close enough for a shot ... I could have shot that buck fawn several times!

Ah well, anyway, the stand is in a good spot for the moment ... just in time for me to take a break. I'm heading to Iowa tomorrow for our denominational annual meeting (no hunting involved unfortunately). I'll be back in the stand a week from today.

Beetle Bailey likes this.
  5. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man that's brutal lol. I'm so excited to be hanging off a tree I really don't care if all I do is get harassed by squirrels for a few hours tomorrow. Sposed to be the last halfway cooler day here until next weekend so I figure I'll get some sightings in though and if a doe or one of the big boys I've been watching this summer walk in front I'll be eating steaks for dinner tomorrow evening. Sooo hungry...

RevMS likes this.
  6. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's all good! If I got something every time it'd be called "killing" not "hunting"!

There are a few family things that rank above it, but there aren't too many places I'd rather be than sitting in a deer stand or blind in the fall - deer or no deer (though the deer make it better ;) ).

whitetailjunky3 and Zblevins like this.
  7. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    FINALLY![​IMG][​IMG]

RevMS likes this.
  8. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 does and a fawn already. The one doe I would've taken a shot at sneakily stayed almost exactly 45yds away the entire 15 minutes I watched them lol.

[​IMG]

9. RevMS

RevMS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wishing I was sitting in a tree instead of this hotel room!

Good luck. Stick one!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Zblevins likes this.
  10. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Took off work at noon and went and got our groceries and a couple last minute things; corn, field spray etc. Got a new pair of 1000g rubber boots from Dunham's Gore $50! Loaded up the car and at last I'm omw to the farm for deer season. Unloaded everything then took my shower and got dressed. Finally got up in a tree about 6 this evening. Saw the 2 does and the fawn and then about 7 a buck came down into the field above me. Watched him forever, he just stood in the same place eating for 30-40 minutes. Got way too dark to shoot but I didn't wanna get up and spook him out though but he ends up walking right down within 10yds of my tree on the downwind side and BOOM snort. $%*! Lol that stands on cooldown now. Still awesome evening, can't wait to wake up and get back out there. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Frankiecruzer and RevMS like this.
  11. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well different wind different stand this morning. Just got set up about 20 minutes ago and the sun is starting to light it up a bit. Here we go!

Frankiecruzer and RevMS like this.
  12. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the climber for the evening sit tonight, here's hoping for some action! Daddy's HUNGRY!

13. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like your sign, that’s nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevMS likes this.
  14. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha thanks, one of the best times of the year when I get to flip that bad boy over to "open"

15. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well got skunked again on day 3 but not complaining yet still had a pretty good day. Looks like Thursday its gonna rain but that's gonna start a little cooler snap with a 15° plus temp drop friday and Saturday! Broke down and drove in this afternoon and got a thermacell, I got absolutely destroyed by mosquitoes last night. Any of you guys using one? Once I turn it off do I need to take the butane out or can I leave in there until the next day? At any rate I'll be back at it in the morning. May try and pull an all day-er tomorrow, sunrise to 1 or 2 then come in for a quick bite and right back at it at the worst. A bad day in the woods beats a good day in a turd tunnel every time lol.

16. BowhunterJeremiah

BowhunterJeremiah Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you guys are having better success then I am

Will be back in the shop working on bows in the am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen deer every day so far this weekend Jeremiah just none close to enough to take the shot that were big enough to get the meat I want yet. I'll be back at it in the am with a favorable wind I hope!

18. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my thermacell no you dont have to take butane out but it gets hot so let it cool down before putting in something that can melt. Big temp drop this coming weekend should be good hunting!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks for the info, definitely seemed to help tonight. I'm pumped for friday morning after seeing the forecast, should be a beautiful 50° or so when I walk out the door. Tempted to go to work Tuesday and Wednesday and reschedule my vacation for Thursday- next Tuesday or Wednesday lol

20. Beetle Bailey

Beetle Bailey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did some sitting over the weekend but the weather hasn’t been very promising.On Oct 2nd at 720am Had a nice buck on camera. To bad I was at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums