Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely perfect evening set up for a sit and I am back to square one. I can't believe this pro shop tech. When this came loose last week i asked should it be knotted on the end. He said no. Now my chances for this weekend are null and I have to wait until Tuesday to get it fixed. 20181006_172438.jpg

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that man. http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/product/limbdriver-pro-v/

3. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    No dice tonight. Straight up skunked. Won’t be back on that property until later this month. They should be picking corn soon, so hopefully that switches their gears from acorns to cut corn fields.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have a Axion Pulse. I know it's a great rest I just need to take it to someone more qualified. The last time I had my bow restrung the guy sorta wove it in there. I can tell now that when the string was changed out that the cord was just cut and severed in where it matched up with the string. It should be at minimum 10", it is at 8" where severed.
    I need to just buy a press and invest the time and effort into learning to do this stuff myself.

5. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks. Sorry they can't figure out how to keep it working. The press idea is the way to go

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    The bow shop I liked going to closed down, and it’s really hard to deal with the other one. I feel your pain. I need my halon pressed and the top hats on the top cam swapped and the guy refused to do it, said I was holding the bow wrong. But I can do a lot of bitching and moaning until the press it for the price of a press:moose:

Okiebob likes this.
  7. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm happy to see this guy made it. Until next year that is.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

8. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked in an archery pro shop for almost a year at the end of college. One of the guys there was really good and taught me a lot. Ever since then I’ve done almost everything myself. I was lucky to get that experience at that time in my life. It puts you at ease to know that you can deal with most anything that might come up during season. This is especially true given that the local “pro shop” closest to my house is run by a guy that I wouldn’t allow to drag my garbage to the curb. I have a good friend that is about 1.5 hours away that I take my stuff to if I really need help.

Good luck Bob. You’ll get it squared away.

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I have cooled off a little.. I guess what pissed me off about the situation is that this tech is always chest thumping about how he is the best. I am old enough to know that people who are the best rarely brag about it. I am figuring this out today and fixing it myself come hell or high water. Fyi, we are under a flash flood warning today..

10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Ive put a peep in with out a press before. I backed the limbs all the way off, used a dental pick to spread the string apart. It worked, but it was risky. They make a clamp that lets you clamp it to the cable rather than tie it in to the cable, but they’d be hard to come by on a Sunday. If you went the clamp route, you wouldn’t need a press

11. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to sneak out for a few hours Saturday morning but only saw deer at a distance. Wanted to hunt yesterday but it rained all damn day and most of my spots are tough to get to when it's wet. Rain today and tomorrow, hoping to get in the stand Wednesday evening. The farm we are going to hit on Wednesday, maybe Thursday depending on rain, has produced all of my big deer and typically around this time of year. Haven't heard much of anything from other hunters around here yet on early season success. A couple does but nobody I know has shot a buck yet this year. I see that as a good sign, hopefully that means we've finally got some mature bucks that are back in play. Almost everyone has been shooting 2 & 3 year olds the last few years. Maybe they are finally starting to get some pictures of some studs and are holding off for them to show up.

Headed to Louisiana this weekend to watch my nephew play, should be an interesting experience going to my first real SEC game. Been to a couple cross over games but never a true SEC battle that means something. Geaux Tigers!

slickbilly-d likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    C3E1B206-C5F0-409E-A0E7-EB5BAF93B41E.jpeg
    Had a stare down with this little guy at 42 yds. He didn’t know what I was. You can’t see his rack but he was a little fork horn. I was able to knock an arrow and range him before he saw me. I thought he was a doe at first cause I couldn’t see his head. I let the little booger go even though I’m outta meat. Hey it’s still early. Why can’t a doe give me that shot? Lol

slickbilly-d and countryfamily like this.
  13. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Heading up to my parents this morning. Didn’t plan on hunting today, but I had to call in to work yesterday to take care of some family matters. We get 2 sick days per occurrence so I thought I’d go ahead and use today as well.

Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  14. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

slickbilly-d likes this.
  15. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a coyote but that was it. Hopeful for this cold front coming in though. [​IMG]

Shocker99 likes this.
  16. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend is looking awesome here, low of 37° on sunday!

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG] So this is my plan I’m going to try once at the end of the month and probably the second week of November, but part of my wants to try it with this cold front. Purple is where I’m looking to set up, there is an open gate in the fence in there at the top of the ridge that sort of opens up into the bowl. Yellow is bedding and west of the pink line is a locust patch, pink line is the contour of the ridge. Green is access, blue is a little water hole. I have a stand by the water hole that has played out well in evenings. I’ve found shed back that far but I’ve never hunted it.

I would like to hear some thoughts on when to hunt it or what you’d do different.

18. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Found several scrapes today. Made a rope licking branch next to one of them and put a camera on it.

Our deer are 100% locked in on acorns. Sitting anywhere else seems a waste of time.

Looking forward to this coming cool snap.

19. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    8459C918-FDCF-4369-8DAB-CD24871DB242.png This is it boys and girls. This is what we’ve been waiting for. Too bad my time will be limited cause of work. Just hope this carries over to November! I’ll make it out a couple dits for sure

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  20. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Happy to report the arrow rest issue has been resolved. After a phone call to Axion, incredible customer service btw, and a new cord installed by my bow tech I am knocking my nocks off again!