Team 22 Earn It

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Hall77, Aug 13, 2018.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Realized I've only been posting in the live from the stand thread, so here's a little update. I've seen a few doe and two small bucks. I have not been able to get a clean shot on any of them yet, but I'm getting close.
    I will not be out too much this weekend, it's my wife's birthday weekend so I have to make time for that, plus it's still pretty dang hot out. Next weekend is supposed t get nice and cool, maybe I'll stumble across one of the bigger bucks. As of now, I should be in Illinois in a few weeks getting after one of those big suckers.

Aaron Jones and bowhunt4abuck like this.
  2. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m still just being patient. Not looking like I will get out this weekend. Still trying to get stuff done with the house. Next weekend looks good as of now though I will pry go do a sit. Pretty sure I will be buck only for a while yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Aaron Jones likes this.
  3. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We had a temperature drop from 85 deg yesterday to about 65 today dropping to 42deg low tonight. I knew I had to get out. I worked til 5:00PM rushed to our farm and headed out. We were supposed to have NW wind switching to NE but ended up ENE which killed me. I could have hunted a stand we hung last month on some heavily traveled trails going to a bean field. The deer we’ve been glassing we’re coming out on the North edge of the field right at or just before dark and feeding to the West. I set up about 10 yards into the woods on the ground against a huge red oak about 40 yards South of the NW corner of the beans. That North edge and the west edge had about 5 yards of green left on the beans. Everything else was dry bean pods on the stems. Figured it would be like a Turkey hunt. Turns out I was right. First deer was a small doe walked out 20 yards upwind of me and began feeding out in front. Soon several more deer appeared out in the beans. I heard some footsteps behind me so turned slowly around and realized there was a long line of deer, at least a dozen walking down a trail behind me to the West towards the field. The front 6-8 were doe with a giant wench leading the back. The line of them stretched back about 60 yards. In the back of the line was about 6 bucks with 2 shooters. Unfortunately the big doe led them down a trail to my downwind side. As soon as she hit my scent stream at about 25 yards, she stopped immediately lifted her front leg and started stomping to stop the line. I was using an ozonics so she didn’t freak. She just kept stomping and looking for about 10 minutes. I held still but eventually she turned the bunch and they headed back the way they came...busted. The deer that were already out feeding stayed out there at about 40 yards. The worst part is all those deer walked the trail that was right under the treestand I should have hunted. Mosquitoes were hellacious also this sit...they about bled me dry. I ended up having another group of deer come down that exact trail right at last light. All bucks and one was a shooer 10 pt. They did the exact thing the other deer did...hit my scent stream and turned around. They got to about 40 yards but never offered a shot opportunity. So close...just need to be in that treestand. All in all I’m super pleased that my plan almost worked. I saw alot of deer from the ground in close proximity. They smelled me tonight but did not See me. I’ll rest that spot but I’ll get back on them soon as conditions are right.

4. Hall77

Hall77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are getting close JDUB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aaron Jones likes this.
  5. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron Jones likes this.
  6. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my bro-in-law have been talking about that ambush all September and it really comes down to little choices and if the dang wind does as the weather man predicts. Probably only have a week before they’re off those beans completely and/or farmer cuts them. Supposed to have winter wheat go in right after so its only a matter of time before I get another chance

Aaron Jones likes this.
  7. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted this morning as well, I saw one deer coming into the stands, but no deer from the stand. I'll be out agian tomorrow evening. Goodluck to everyone.

Aaron Jones likes this.
  8. Have you tried rolling in some dirt and leaves? I once took a slide going down a ravine, and it must've covered my scent, because two coyotes and a giant buck walked right by me. (Not at the same time!)

9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    A cold front is moving in Thursday, I am planning on being sick that day. The best thing about my job is that most everyone here bow hunt, this time of the year is usually filled with people not coming to work to hunt. Plus, we all have to burn paid time off (PTO) or we lose it. I love working here, all big boy rules plus we have a kegerator and weekly wild game cookout day.

Aaron Jones and bowhunt4abuck like this.
  10. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    I’m hopefully getting out for a sit this weekend. It will be weather depending and wife depending because on separate occasions she has said she needs my help and wants me out of the house lol think I’m set up for failure regardless but I’ll try to confirm before actually leaving

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  11. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will definitely be out Thursday morning. Hopefully I will get more out this weekend. And this next week! It’s should be good. I got the wrong wind for the scrape I want to hunt. But I will be able to hunt another bedding area that I scoured in the spring

12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Change of plans, Friday is going to be the coldest, Thursday gets down to mid 60's. Going to try Friday and see what happens.

13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Change #42, boss said tomorrow is best. Also said I have a good work ethic so coming in late is an option as well...hahaha, if they only knew my special slacker skills.
    [​IMG]

14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got me some deer dander cover scent so if I ground hunt again I’ll smell a bit like a deer’s armpit, but I’ll probably just try to get further downwind of where they’re coming out to field

15. blackbear

Dislikes Received:
    I catch a flight Friday to catch a flight to Cleveland, packing right, will be at Ky ranch next week! Getting excited.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. Hall77

Hall77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to finally being in the tree again Friday evening, then all weekend taking my oldest Easton out for the youth season here in KY.

17. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    I’m so ready to get out. Let’s get some points on the board this weekend folks!

Aaron Jones likes this.
  18. Don’t Poke The Bear

Don’t Poke The Bear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Temps will finally drop into the 50s and low 60s tomorrow. I’m gonna hit the woods. Finally some huntable weather around here. Good luck to you guys hunting this weekend!

blackbear and Aaron Jones like this.
  19. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Set up over a fresh scrape this morning off of a bedding area. It worked out perfectly except the deer came in too early. I was setup ready to go at 6:30. About 6:45 a look to my left and there is a deer body. Couldn’t tell how big it was or small. I just needed about 15-20 minutes and I would have had a chance. Feels good having a deer walk past you at 10 yards

20. blackbear

Dislikes Received:
    Knock that arrow.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

Aaron Jones likes this.