The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I crashed my imaginary car just thinking about this..

dnoodles likes this.
  2. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A second steak won't kill ya like said above. That is far better than a burger.

MN_Jay likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yes- you just have to stop first. It's a flashing red.

4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:

are you originally from IL?

5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Missouri, the hilly sticks part. We did have one red flashing light in town..

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that acid reflux attack at 3 am was like desert. I actually have good blood pressure and cholesterol numbers but I will probably gain 10 pounds this week.

7. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First time in Dearborn, I sure didn't know that. We don't have flashing turn arrows up here in the sticks.

I was stopped at a flashing red turn and the car behind was on the horn. Of course, me being me, I just put the window down and gave them the MI salute!

dnoodles likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Minnesota they have the flashing yellow that allows a turn.

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen that before in many states. Flashing red was a first. Good thing it wasn't a busy time of day. I might be dead.

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    real life Chicagoland example-

In IL, it is rare to be allowed to turn L except when you have a green arrow. It is usually expressly illegal to do so. A "normal" light sequence in IL is from red across the board- the L lanes get a green arrow first, then they go yellow to red and the straight lanes go green, then yellow and back to red; repeat. Yellows in IL tend to be very short; ESPECIALLY left turn yellows. This is why so many FIBs run red L arrows.

Recently the main drag through my town (3 lane divided, with 2 lanes of L turn lanes and 1 R turn lane at main intersections) had a bunch of repaving done as well as the addition of medians. While they were doing this, they changed the light sequence to where the straight lanes got a green first, then they would get a red and the L turns only would get a green and the R turns got a flashing yellow to proceed when traffic allowed- no stop needed (they have red light cameras all over here that get you if you don't come to a complete stop when making a R on red....I've gotten like 5 of them, $100 a pop.)

All of this should have worked very well in theory. Except this is IL, land of the FIB. It was complete BEDLAM. People were too used to getting the green L arrows first; they would think they got skipped over and they would pull out and turn L into oncoming traffic. Then on the back end; people would see the straight lanes green and the L arrows red and assume they had missed the L turn light, pull up and stop and not pay attention to the L arrow. The arrow would drop from red to green, and they would sit there and miss the whole damn green arrow while everyone stuck behind them is at a slow boil. There were signs everywhere notifying drivers of the change in light patters and it mattered not one whit. They had to go back to the same old crappy system because there were too many accidents and road rage incidents.

As crappy as IL drivers are; they are generally pretty passive (it's why they're so bad; they just don't pay attention) are not intentionally rude, and rarely use horns. Probably afraid of getting shot, I don't know. I lay on the horn in situations where people are not paying attention to lights going to green and my IL native wife thinks I'm the A-hole!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure being on the receiving end of one of those is in the penalty section for violating rule #1 in the Official State of Michigan Driver's Manual:
    1. Thou shalt Lead, follow, or GTFO of the way!

Driving in MI would be heaven if it weren't for the Oldsmobile-sized potholes.

12. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True as hell

13. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People wasting my time.

During our last IATF audit, the auditors found vague meaning, serious grammatical errors and out right errors in many of our control plans, procedures and such.

My boss asked everyone in our work area to review our written materials to correct these issues.

So, I start looking over some documents and realize that I seem to remember some of these issues being flagged in my previous report. I find my file that was created then and low and behold, most of thee issues I flagged are still there.

I sent the file to my boss and said I'm done with the review.

So now while my coworkers are looking over documents, I am spending my time on more pleasurable pursuits-namely chatting on this forum. LOL

dnoodles, ash d and w33kender like this.
  14. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was in a wedding there last December and it took us a while to get that crap figured out.

15. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Weather f'n up harvest.

Our beans were 12.8% moisture Sunday night when we had to quit because the elevator closed. 2 tenths of rain on Monday, cold/cloudy weather since and when we tried again yesterday afternoon they were over 17%...

Okiebob likes this.
  16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you guys had a frost up there? We're still a good bit away from starting here. I've seen one person cutting the other day and a few fields that look close. None of mine are very close yet. I have about 60 acres that have a few leaves off, most of mine are just turning right good.

How are yours turning out yield wise?

17. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't consider it a hard frost yet but it did get cold enough to curl any leaves that were left on the beans - which was very few in the area. We've gotten about 200 acres done so far but those are the only ones that were 100% ready. Everything else is a day away at most but we just can't catch a break on the weather. Most guys are doing corn first this year. We're going to give it one more try today and if beans don't work, we're going to go make a mess in corn ourselves.

Our last field, which was only about 35 acres of no till- previously pasture (corn last year for first time in 20 some years), yielded 75. Our conventional tillage is going anywhere from 58-66. Only thing a guy can complain about so far this fall is the mud and the prices.

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How much are beans down from last year?

19. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MN now has a 3rd gender to choose from when applying for a drivers license

20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]