what am i doing wrong..

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Evan Nimalovitch, Oct 2, 2018.

1. ive outlined a photo of the area I hunt.. the entire area is approx. 160 acres, with alfalfa in the middle.. the blue squares are 3 different locations ive tried parking and walking (marked in blue dots) in to my blind/bait which is yellow..

The buck I am after has shown up in daylight photos, but I have yet to see him.. any suggestions at first glance of something im completely doing wrong.. perhaps he doesn't bed where I think? ive only hunted prominent north winds, and there is a large 6 foot fence approx. 50 yards to the south of my blind which acts as a cattle/game fence, so I doubt he can be bedding south of me.. any suggestions would be appreciated, as im getting a bit frustrated..

2. photo

Attached Files:

3. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do not assume he can't be bedding somewhere because of a fence, I've personally witnessed multiple deer jumping a 10ft chainlink fence, from the downhill side even O.o couldn't figure out how the hell they got in there until we watched them jump out lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also if the top of the photo is north and your certain that they aren't going to be coming from right south then it sounds/looks to me like you're hunting the wrong wind but I am definitely no expert.

5. directly south is a large marsh/pond..it works perfect to cover scent on a north wind.. maybe im just terrible at hunting..?!

6. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you say North wind I'm picturing the wind blowing from the south towards the north. If you are meaning the wind coming from the north towards the south then you're good. Don't get discouraged hunting rarely goes exactly how you planned it no matter what they show on tv!

7. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you say pond/marsh, I instantly think bedding area.

8. its wide open.. around the marsh and pond.. am i hunting the wrong wind..?

9. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    HI
    Hard to tell but in the photo it looks like you cross an open field. If so you may be alerting the deer to your arrival .

pastorbigdan likes this.
  10. I am, I see does and small bucks when im hunting.. I have no other way to get to my blind..

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your over hunting 1specific spot.
    That's one thing don't like about baiting. Once it's legal, everyone does it. Older deer catch on quick.

Sota likes this.
  12. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi try getting a path next to the fence line in the trees .Go in with a leaf blower or a rake if allowed hinge cut some small trees to make some cover. If you can not I would move the setup to a better accessible location. It dose sound like a great set only if you can get in and see deer

13. ksandman

ksandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the deer is bedding around that pond to the right of your blind. I think you blind my be too close. I wouldn’t get as close to a bedding location. Try hanging a stand on field edge to left and watch movement in and out. That area around pond looks to be thickest in area.

14. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    you ever look at if he comes from the same way everytime he shows up on cams? Pay attention to direction he enters the frame and leaves relative to the time of day. For example if its in the afternoon and he come from the east, you can assume he's bedding toward the east. If you get him early morning say 4am you can assume hes headed back to bed. Try and gather as much info from a picture as possible to make assumptions.

I'd also recommend walking into the wind when heading out to hunt. If you are hunting north winds then as you walk out to your blind from two of those parking locations you are sending scent right toward bedding.

The other option you have is to sit on the North side of the feild with a south wind and observe the buck enter the feild where you have pictures of him to get a better idea on what he is doing and then make adjustments and move in for the kill.

15. thanks allot for the info.. that makes allot of sense,