Eye Dominance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by NUARCHER, Sep 30, 2018.

1. NUARCHER

NUARCHER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious if any one else has this issue. I’m left eye dominant can’t hit the broadside of a barn shooting my rifle right handed right eye, so I shoot it left and left. But I shoot my bow just fine shooting right and right.

2. sgcableguy

sgcableguy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same way. I shoot rifles and shotguns left handed. Never tried to shoot my bow left handed, not sure I could pull it. I am right handed but left eye dominant. Always close my left eye when I shoot my bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    same for me- except my right eye is bad enough to where even with contact lens I can only focus on either the pin or the target- cannot see both at same time. So I switched to LH with a bow (several years ago.) With a scoped long gun it wasn't an issue but I recently started transitioning to LH with a long gun also so I could still use iron sights when needed. Shot a clay pigeon competition this weekend fully LH. Did pretty good. Still feels a little odd but I'm getting better and more comfortable.

4. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am right handed and left eye dominant and really struggled when it came to waterfowl hunting or shooting a shotgun period. However shooting a bow is no problem at all and I shoot with both eyes open, I'm assuming the peep sight helps channel my vision. I wear contacts, so all summer I've practiced taking out my left eye contact, leaving my right one in, and shooting with both eyes open. So far I've been shooting a lot better and I believe it is going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

dnoodles likes this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    your brain will learn to ignore the fuzzy image cause by the non-corrected eye. I only need a contact in my right eye. If I don't wear one my brain pretty much ignores my right eye except for peripheral.

Be careful, though. If left uncorrected for too long, the eye muscle will weaken to the point where you will get a "lazy" eye. Not kidding.

Jrob140 likes this.
  6. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

Jrob140 likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope I close my left eye and shoot I can bat left and throw left but can not shoot a bow left handed, I write right handed but guns and bows I shoot right handed and close the left eye.

8. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just had to start closing my left eye about 2 years ago. It took some getting used to considering I spent 20 years in the military, Ive always shot all my guns with both eyes open minus anything with glass

9. ganderss2424

ganderss2424 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make the switch to left hand bow. I was the same way. I was a good shot right handed but became an excellent shot LH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I'm naturally 100% RH.
    But now I only write, bat, and throw RH. And shoot a pistol.
    So I shattered my right femur as a kid and ended up left footed. At one point I could kick a 30 yard FG and punt over 40 lefty. No, I was never a kicker in football. Kickers are :dan: . I play hockey lefty. My LH grandpa taught me to golf- lefty. I've since switched to RH because it's really hard to bum RH sticks and I hit longer RH but I still hit straighter LH. In about my early-20s, my eye dominance/farsightedness got to the point I could not focus on both the pin and the target. So at 30 I learned to shoot a bow lefty as well. Now 40+; I am converting to LH on long guns for the same reason.

Long story short; I am not truly ambidextrous but I am a fricking oddball...out of necessity. You can teach your body to do most anything it needs to do. Even in middle age and beyond.

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm naturally left handed and left eye dominant. Like dnoodles, I learned to do many things right handed because left handed equipment was scarce as hens teeth. Eventually, my right side became stronger than my left.

When I starting shooting a bow, it was natural to pick it up right handed. Eye dominance was not really considered back then.

I have no problem shooting with both eyes open in regular lighting. In fact I had a pretty dang good average in my 300 league-bow hunter class.

It's the fading light (last 20 minutes) that gets me. My shots are going left by feet. So, I have to close the left eye now and that blows. Hard to see if that deer just moved a leg or took a step.