Do climbers put you at a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Viper. I have Millennium loc ons as well but I like my climber better. I feel more secure in it.

Probably sent from a tree with my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never felt using a climber hindered me. Quite the opposite. I hunt public land 99% of the time, and almost never hunt the same spot twice. I like to be mobile, and to try new spots. Sure, I could use a lock on, but I'd be clanking around far more than I do with my climber, and i would get the wiggles a heck of a lot faster because my my climber is so much more comfortable.

I've killed or passed more deer than I can count in the first hour of shooting light and I'm never up a tree more than 30 minutes before shooting light

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The only disadvantage I see of using a climber is you are limited in what trees you can climb. The tree has to be really straight and free of limbs for you to climb quietly and quickly. By having to clear limbs so you can climb, you lose cover on the tree that helps conceal your movement. They give you great flexibility for run and gun, but reduces the amount of trees you can climb without having to clear a lot of limbs.

4. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Climb around them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a summit and have killed a ton of deer out of it. Just get in an hour or so earlier and let things settle down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    that is a pro tip, especially doing a run and gun in a new area.
    I am of the opinion that if you have the opportunity to do so, hunt pre-set (ladder or hang on) stand in the AM. Slip in quickly and quietly using known routes, you already have lanes cut, bow hangers set, etc. A climber is next best option. For me, doing a hang and hunt with a hang on and sticks in the dark is a complete s4itshow.

I know some people are awesome at doing hang and hunts with hang-ons, but I am not one of them. I've got a bunch of hang ons and doesn't matter which brand or hanging mechanism or what; it takes me a long time to get up the tree and the stand hung tight and locked in just the way I want them. Lots of good tips to make it easier here and on YouTube (thanks, DIY Hunter) but I still take a while and make noise, ESPECIALLY in the dark. Then invariably, after you finally get set up in the dark and cool off just as it begins to get light, you realize that you don't have a shot lane through whatever branch or brush you missed in the dark, the wind shifts and you are now a sitting duck; whatever. Murphy hits and you want to move and you have to do it all over again during prime time. It's not too bad with a climber, but with a hang on? Please.

So when doing more aggressive run and gun in the AM, a climber is much more versatile; especially with Parker's tip of bringing a couple sticks with you to get around limbs if needed.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree. I can't envision trying to set up a hang-on in the dark. That's why my LW Assault sits in the corner. With my LW climber I can set up in the dark (no light) and climb in almost complete silence. I have to say though, every tree I hunt from (7 or 8) has been checked out and climbed before I actually hunt from it. I like to see what the view/or lack of one, looks like for shooting, then I'll screw in a couple tree hooks, so I know the height/angle for my stand in the dark when I come back to hunt.

Because I hunt from some fatter trees, I took some "white out" and painted marks on the traction belts where the Warning is, so in the dark I can see where the end of travel is for the belts. You have to have enough belt for the lugs to grab, to be safe.

smctitan and dnoodles like this.