Thinking of switching broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Sep 29, 2018.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently am shooting montecs and am very happy with the way they shoot. I also own rage two blades and spitfires. While I have recovered every deer I have shot, I have had issues with mechanicals. The rage opened in flight and spitfires have never passed through. I decided to switch to a fixed head this year. I have yet to shoot anything with the montecs. Does anyone have experience with these heads and would give an opinion. The area I am hunting this year is very dense. It was selectively cut a decade ago. Thanks in advance and God bless.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What rage blade were you using? I used to shoot them and messed around with shooting them in different stages of open blades and saw no real difference in flight, unless you hit something on the way to the deer. Biggest issue with mechanicals is the weight of the arrow, don't care what the speed freaks say about speed and KE you want an arrow over 450 grains for a mechanical.

Oh and slick tricks are one hell of a head.

sgcableguy likes this.
  3. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot easton axis st 400s. The broadhead was a rage 2 blade 100 gr. They have that little bladed tip. I was worried if they open early what the penetration would be on anything but broadside shots. Where I hunt the shots are within 25 yards tops. Usually under 20. I have heard so many good things about slick tricks I'll probably give them a try. Thanks.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is your draw length, poundage, and what model bow?

5. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Draw length is 28, poundage is 65 lbs and the bow is a mathews switchback xt

6. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  7. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had really good luck with rage 2 blades. I’ve had o-ring ones and shock collars. I prefer the shock collars. This year, I bumped my arrow weight up to 480g from 415ish, and will be trying out the trypans. I reused a couple two blade ones with the perpendicular blade on the front, but that little blade on the front is too hard to sharpen. I’ve heard a lot of people having good luck with montechs, but I bought the stainless ones 2 years ago and can’t get them sharp enough for my liking.

8. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Montec G5s have a reputation of poor blood trails and not holding an edge. My wife used them her first season, she didn't shoot anything so I can't verify the blood trails. They were dull as a spoon when new. I was able to get them sharp, but not as sharp as I hoped. Personally, I wouldn't buy them again. There are better options in the price range imo.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I blamed it on the stainless being hard to sharpen, but idk. Magnus Black Hornets are sharp out of the box and easy to resharpen, haven’t shot anything with one yet though. I’m about to order some slick tricks just to check them out, I’ve heard nothing but good things. I like the montec design, just can’t get the stainless ones sharp

10. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot several deer with the Montecs...all pass throughs. Most went down in sight. The only issue is (as mentioned) that they don't leave a lot of blood. It can be tricky to track deer when the hit is less than ideal.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  11. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SlickTrick ViperTrick, Magnus Stingers are all good heads that I’ve shoot in the past. I bought Iron Will V100 this year and can’t wait to put one through a deer. Ya, I know they’re expensive, but it’s the one thing that does the damage.

Dropshot2009 and virginiashadow like this.
  12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look at VPA heads....very well made.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

13. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you're not getting pass throughway when expected you might want to check your arrow flight by shooting a few bareahafts.

I'm not a fan of mechanical heads. They simply don't interest me at all.

I like solid stuff. Thick two blade CoC high quality steel stuff. VPA was a good suggestion. Look into sharpening your own heads. Don't rely on the manufacturer.

14. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a fixed blade with a complete pass through. I have had good luck with slick trick mags. I also notice deer shot with fixed blades typically dont bolt off, its almost like they arent sure what just happened. With mechanicals it seems like they run for the hills jmo.

15. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and the blade angle and arrow weight are important similar aspects as well imo.

16. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally just switched from ramcat to magnus buzzcuts. Lifetime warranty! Break one and they will replace it! I had good luck with montecs and actually shot my biggest deer with one in 2010. Hard to hate on them but they don’t open them up real well but with no fail and the way they fly chances are you’ll see them go down like I always did..good luck bud

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Mr.O likes this.