Life line Postion

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by chieffan, Sep 28, 2018.

1. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use ladder stands as the knees won't take the sticks any more. Worst part is putting them up. My ladder stands have the shooting rail which is very handy when using a crossbow (due to shoulder limitations). On two of the stands design I have to have the shooting rail down and come up into the stand under it. Cannot duck low enough to lower it after setting down.

Question is should the lifeline be inside the shooting rail or outside?

2. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say under the shooting rail. Since that is the way you are getting into your stand otherwise you would have to disconnect then reconnect once your under the railing. Now I have a similar question. Just purchased 2 new life lines do I stay connected to them once I'm in my stand or disconnect and attach to a tree strap? If I do that then I take the chance of loosing my balance while switching from one to the other and falling. Like to hear some thoughts on this and what everyone else does.

3. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you maintain 3 points of contact in the ladder stand, for example 2 feet and 1 hand, then you are considered safe to use the other hand to manipulate the Carabiner into place. This is assuming you have properly secured your ladder stand. You should set it up so that you can transfer the harness Carabiner from lifeline to tree strap in one simple maneuver.

But if you have the lifeline that stays in the tree and extends to the ground, then you shouldn't have to reattach at all.

4. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the lift line attached to the tree and extends to the ground and no safety strap. If I go under the rail and take the life line with me, should I fall for some reason the life line would be wrapped around the rail. Not sure this would be a good situation either. Does the shooting rail cause a potential problem that should be avoided ? ?

5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not following you? If the lifeline is attached to the tree and runs through the platform and thus under the shooting rail how would it get wrapped around the shooting rail?
    Thats how I set up mine and I've never had any problems.

6. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the lifeline is brought up under the shooting rail, and a person falls over the shooting rail or to either side, it will be looped around the shooting rail. If the person falls UNDER the shooting rail they are OK - no wrap.

7. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Unless your shooting rail is pretty low its going to be tough to fall over it. If you feel that is a real possibility I wouldn't attach the the bottom end of the rope to anything so it would be free to move if you needed to pull it over the rail to free yourself.

8. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once in a while a person has to stand up and "stretch his legs" or at least I do. That would be the most likely time to loose balance and go over. The rail don't seem to be low when seated but I haven't had the bow in it yet either. But it does seem low when seated and I tried to lower it over my head. I don't know what brand it is as I purchased it used with a bunch of other stand stuff. I use two lines to bring the bow and my bag up to the stand so both hands are free for going up the ladder.
    Think I will try a different knot for the bottom end of the lifeline so it will be held to slide the knot up easily but a good tug will free it. Appreciate your input on this. Have a good safe season. Ours starts Monday but cold (for what we are used to) and rainy today.

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good plan. Good luck to you as well. Our season opens tomorrow but I will be watching my daughter run Cross Country.

10. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Chieffan I think in the situation that you are describing, your life line should be attached to the tree as high as you can place it above your head. Your prusik knot can adjust to a sitting position and to a standing position with ease. If you need to stand then you slide it up as high as possible which should keep you from falling over the rail.
    With my harness I can keep the fall strap tight enough where I can barely lean forward. That’s because I can place the anchor point at arms length over my head.
    I hope this makes sense enough to help you stay safe.

11. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  12. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you tie the bottom slack of the lifeline to the tree, thus allowing you to move the prussic up and down the tree with one hand, there would be no way for the lifeline to tangled in the shooting rail

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This. You want the knot be as high as possible so you dont fall far.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I sometimes use the lifeline and then move to a regular tree strap. I have two carabiners so I can attach to the regular strap before unhooking from the lifeline. This works pretty well.

MikeK likes this.
  15. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think i will try attaching the life line in a position where i can stay connected to it. But with my one stand that might be a little difficult to do. Will have to get another carbine for my one tree strap.