DeerCast App

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JasonOhio2018, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am old school I check the weather and hunt during peak rut, no need to use an ap to tell me when to hunt. I mean the first week of November are you staying home if your phone says it is less than ideal?

grommel and early in like this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both sides of this are valid. Tools are great and can help one to achieve their goal. But ask most hunters and they will tell you experience dictates protocol. I for one have deff said....."This was the day I saw that whatever buck". I also rant every year about weather apps and how wind is never correct. I love and use tech, but also recognize that a little talc is the best judge of wind. If I love a set for whatever reason and my cameras only see the boss hog in another area I'm sitting there! It's what we learn from the wild and the hunt that teaches us the best. Now leave me alone, I'm buying a range finder online

early in likes this.
  3. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    HA! Right - I think everyone here would agree with that! A much more "meh whatever floats your boat" approach anyway.

However, as you look toward the future of hunting and making sure that younger generations of hunters are engaged then you've got to be able to grapple with the fact that younger generations are technologically sound and have different preferences when it comes to sending and receiving information. Now that might not align with how many of us grew up hunting or were taught - but many hunters here didn't grow up with trail cameras, custom food plots either or range finders among other things.

And not to really bring this into play but I think it's valid - at some point technology and hunting will reach a tipping point. A tipping point that really starts to push the ethics boundary to where some/many hunters will say enough if enough. I'm just not sure an app using strictly weather based algorithms accomplishes that (if anything at all). I think if anything - it's just educating hunters on what sort of variables that they need to pay attention to.

Beyond that - let's be honest this is about the Dury Outdoors "brand" and creating additional access points to the content that they're producing on a daily basis. They don't really care if we see more deer in the woods or not - they care if we see what they're producing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Shane0709 likes this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be honest the current generation motivated and learning from TV hunters concern me.

5. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you’ve got a pretty good platform to support your reason for concern...

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone been looking at the DeerCast before their hunts? Out of curiosity I checked it out before the two times I went out. Both days were rated as "great. I did actually see several deer both sits. I would have gone out even without the app of course, but thought I'd give it a glance just to see how it goes I guess.

7. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have it and last Friday it said that hunting would be great. I saw two doe and shot one of them...this thing is fool proof!! ;)

Wiscohunter likes this.
  8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems to be at least somewhat accurate so far. If nothing else, it keeps me from having to check multiple websites for information.

9. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. It's almost like cheating right. :biggrin:

WiRutJunkie likes this.
  10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I downloaded it today and I like it. I will check it against sites I use to check weather conditions.

11. Buckhunter30

Buckhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I downloaded and checked it occasionally over the youth hunt with my son the last weekend. The app said great for deer movement, however we were going to hunt either way the app wasnt going to tell me not too. 2 morning sits, and 2 evening sits saw 5 deer, he shot his first buck at last light on Sunday. App was nice for the weather aspect, but it's not going to be able to determine deer movement.

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. - Theodore Roosevelt

12. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why not?

13. Ryan Cornelius

Ryan Cornelius Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excited to use this new tool this year! It helps put a lot of information in one place, which is awesome.

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably be setting out the whole month of November myself...even if my phone says it's good. I've come to despise the random chaos we call the rut. It's the best time of year to luck up and kill some random buck. But it's also the worst time of year to try to kill a specific buck on purpose.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt when I'm free to do so. Every day counts and I have large expanses of public land to jump around on. If I burn something by not hunting on a perfect day I'm moving on. I don't need an app...thats just me.