This is a first!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Sep 21, 2018.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to post this because of another recent post about the awful mosquitos this year, but I couldn't locate that thread. Today I was going in around 2:00 PM for my first sit of the year, I was excited! I drove the 11 miles, parked, and walked the 20 mins uphill along this pipe line to get to my area. There was a real nice south wind (perfect for where I was going) that kept me cool on the hike, but as soon as I stepped into those woods at the top the mosquitos were on me unmercifully!!

In all my years of hunting I had never seen the likes of these, and their NUMBERS! I couldn't sweep them off of me fast enough! As soon as you got some off there were endless back-ups already biting. They were biting my neck, hands, and arms to the point I couldn't take it anymore. I only had short sleeves on, so there was no way I was going to endure a 4 hour sit. I turned around and walked out. I can only think that all of the rain we've gotten over the last several months plays a big part in this? I'll try again Monday, when it's supposed to be much cooler.

2. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You got all the ones we lost. I am usually getting tore up but ever since we got hit with the hurricane I haven't had to turn on a thermacell. And this is in temps in the 80's and 90's here. Not a thing to have no mosquitoes for us.

3. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear long sleeves and gloves even when it’s hot. I also where a full head net for early season. This prevents me from getting eaten alive. You just need to get used to the buzzing and learn to ignore it. And yes there’s lots of mosquitoes this year, even 25’ in the air.

4. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That just plain sucks! I feeling like a thermocell would have made somewhat of a difference

5. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had the samw thing last week they even tried to fight through the thermacell for a while before it really kicked on

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

7. Hogs need lovin too

Hogs need lovin too Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. Bill H

Bill H Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It certainly has been a crazy summer with all the rain and no doubt that is a huge contributor to the problem. With all the standing water. It’s not only the mosquitos but we also have an outbreak of EHD in our part of the state specifically Chester and Berks. Caused by midges biting deer. This usually hits in times of drought but for some reason it is hitting hard here.

9. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You must be hunting 5c or 5d if you're out in the woods already. Good luck keeping those little bastards off you right now. I'm waiting for cooler weather to even think about going out nothings helping right now.

10. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, 5D.

11. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a lot of marsh/swampy areas. The mosquitos can be just like you described, absolutly brutal. Even if you could sit still they're in your face, ears, nose, etc. I just use my thermacell and deep woods off (with the highest deet I can find). If a deer winds me I figure oh well they would have winded me with or without the bug spray.

12. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's like that here this year.. Thank God for Thermacell

13. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I've dealt with mosquitos/gnats plenty of times in the past, it's just that I wasn't even able to get to my stand because they were so bad. Like I said, I've never encountered anything like it in the past. I had a head net with me that I figured I might need to use on stand, but they were just too overwhelming, I had to leave.

14. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

early in likes this.
  15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thermacell is a MUST! Iw ear a long sleeve Moisture wicking base layer shirt that is treated in Permethrin in the early season. I also wear a headcover treated with Permethrin as well. Those coupled with a Thermacell works really well for me.

16. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will rub it in. It was so dry this summer in northern WI, I have not used bug spray since mid/late July. I did see a, yes a skeeter the other day....in the house.

17. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wait till you shoot a deer and have to deal with it while the mosquitos eat you alive. That's a lot of fun...