NEW REST? QAD?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JchRisbullseye, Nov 9, 2017.

1. JchRisbullseye

JchRisbullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Contemplating the purchase of new rest after my G5 C-Max has gone bad on me. I’m leaning toward the QAD ultra rest, as that’s the one my local bow shop recommends. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on the QAD?

2. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD is a good rest, but I have had 2 fail in the last 3 months. I replaced them with Trophy Taker Smack Down Pro’s. They are an awesome rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Using the QAD this year and have had good luck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How long did the CMax last and what went bad? I had two QADs fail on me and went with a Bowfinger Medusa Max. It was a great rest and I still have it and shot two deer with it this season as a matter of fact. I just don't like the cord in my cable. Not sure if I can give any valid reasons as to why, but I just don't.

I bought a G5 CMax about mid summer and loved it and limb driven in general. I do prefer top limb though because I hit the cord a lot with it going to the bottom. Any way, I took it off and put the Bowfinger back on for hunting season because I've read about them failing so much. I was just too nervy to take that chance with it in the field.

I wound up changing out to a Limbdriver Pro V and love it.

Ldsturg likes this.
  5. JchRisbullseye

JchRisbullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve heard very good things about the limber driver pro. But about the Cmax, things were constantly going wrong with it the instant I️ put it on my bow. I️ had very little trust in it when going in the woods for days at a time

6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    QAD. I use the ultra. Never any issues. Killed many deer.

7. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Never an issue.

8. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One of my son's friend's dads and I got to talking about archery when he and his son rode with us on a father/son school trip and I sold him one of my two HTRs so I'd have someone to shoot with and he really wanted the CMax so I let him have it cheap. He's not hunting with a bow this first season though and I agree he needs to get proficient with a bow before hunting. But, he's had no problems out of it and we've shot a lot.

My CMax did everything it was supposed to and gave me no problems, but have read so many bad reviews I just couldn't take the chance. I did shoot the Jun-Aug 3Ds with it and it performed fine. Once when tuning in the back lawn I forgot to reset the button correctly when resetting up and didn't catch that there was no click on the draw and of course it didn't drop and I lost a fletch. My fault but there's so much going on with that rest to work right - I guess it got into my head.

I'm extremely tickled with the VT Pro V. I don't know WHAT the difference is and don't care but it's the first rest that tuned perfectly at 13/16 on this bow. The Bowfinger and CMax had to go closer to the riser to BH tune. The CMax was like 9/16.

I don't like to stick anything to my shelf but conceded and cut the little arrow holder down to everything but the part that actually holds the arrow and have been very surprised at how well it holds the arrow in place. I've exaggerated my movements to way more than I would do in real life and it stays in place and falls into place during a let down.

9. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used QAD exclusively for last 6-7 years and never had a single issue with them. I will be putting one on my new rig as well.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with QAD. Have QADs on my three bows since 2007 Great product.

11. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Limbdriver

12. TAdsit

TAdsit Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD Ultra Rest Pro and have been shooting it for almost three years now. I shoot 4 times a week all year round and have for the last several years and I couldn't be happier with the release. I have no idea how many thousands of arrows I have shot through it but it hasn't had a hiccup on it yet. Another thing I like about the rest that yes it had an upfront cost but it has a lifetime warranty from the manufacture. I am not sure all the QAD rests do but I know the Pro series does. 1 time lifetime purchase for an awesome rest.. how can you go wrong..?

13. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to shoot the RIP Cord Code Red and had two fail on me, one fail cost me a 200" mule deer. After that I went over the the QAD HDX and I've had zero issues in the past 6 years. A lot of guys like the whisker biscuit due to how simple it is. I have thought about going to one but the QAD hasn't given me any trouble so I have not reason to swithc.

14. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to the QAD HD ultra rest and have had no issues. I had a biscuit before. No comparison. I set it up myself and it shot tighter groups right away especially at longer targets.

15. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    love my QAD couldnt picture switching to another brand

16. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same one since 2012 & it is rock solid. Rain, sleet or snow it hasn't let me down.

17. matdrenalin

matdrenalin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had two QAD Hunter rests in five years and no failures. Love mine.

18. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  19. Barry A Weinperl

Barry A Weinperl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    whisker biscuit , best hunting rest ever made. used it 35 years never an issue. many deer have fallen using it.

20. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 3 QADs that had issues + they were very loud. Great CS they replaced them all. Then I went to Ripcord Code Red.. Nice - no issues but noisy (not like QAD). Now NAP Apache Carbon on 2 bows. No issues and very quite.

BUT I always will have a bow with a WB on it - ready to hunt. Simple and effective.

I have been using a WB since they came out in 1999 - 18 years, seems like forever. The V notch for easy arrow loading introduced in 2003. I had the original. You had to push the BH through the bristle to load the arrow.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018