Hanging trail cameras high

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by CToutdoorsman, May 14, 2018.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, guys, anybody hangs their trail cameras high in a tree8-10 foot off the ground?
    I had two cameras stolen last year so I invested in a screw in mounting system and have decided to hang them up high and angle them down. I wanted to know the kind of success guys were having with this?
    Thanks, Paul.

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I go as high as I can using 1 climbing stick.

3. Roamer

Roamer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had three stolen on some federal water fowl production land two years ago since then I’ve been putting them up high using one to two climbing sticks. Have had a few picks of other hunters that have actually spotted them and just keep going. If someone really wanted to steal them they could but they would have to work at it and if you think about it scum bag thieves are lazy ****bags anyway.

CToutdoorsman likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I do this quite often in areas where I'm worried about theft - so far, so good. Nobody has noticed them that I've gotten photos of. The only real problem is that the quality of the deer photos you get isn't as good as eye level, and you get a lot of small critters you wouldn't normally get like rabbits, coons, squirrels, etc. But I suppose you take the good with the bad.

tynimiller and Roamer like this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started doing this as well. I cut angled wood blocks that i place behind the cam to angle it downward ...

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  8. rock54

rock54 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have been put my cameras up since i have been using trail cams, bought a small 3ft ladder just and only for that reason...

the brackets i use on back of my cameras is the primos kind, can adjust in any direction and were about 20.00 each,

have had tresspassers walk right under and near and never knew i got their pictures, most people never look up, unless

you are squirrel hunting ? never lost a camera let, knock on wood...good luck to all, russ

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been doing it for several years now since I had a few stolen and/or destroyed. It has worked very well for me so far. I take a lightweight 5 foot ladder with me and I hang them between 10-12 feet. Most people do not look up when they walk through the woods. You will be amazed how many people never see them. It makes for some very cool pics.

10. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been doing this for a few years but not as a theft deterrent. I run cheaper cameras with noticeable flash on public land and I found that once a deer looked at the camera it was gone. Python cable locks have kept honest people honest.l amd im sure the height has helped

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. Kody Nehl

Kody Nehl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  12. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hung all of my cams using one Rivers View strap step and still had one stolen! I got a video of coon hunters which one of them actually shined a flashlight on. I thought well if they didn't steal it then they weren't going to. Wrong, about two weeks later I went to check it and it was gone. Another time I had a cam up about 20 feet watching the farm gate and is was shot by a shotgun. I think coon hunters know were most tree stands are and they use a smartphone to find the glow of a camera, especially if a person has a corn pile at.

13. Aces11

Aces11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been lucky, I have ever had one stolen off private or public land. I put my name and number on the camera on the inside and outside with permanent marker. Not sure if that deters people or not. I should start carrying a climbing stick and put them a little higher.

14. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Two cameras? One to photo deer and one to photo the thief?