New Bow Suggestions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Derek7712, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Derek7712

Derek7712 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello All,

I am looking into getting a new bow and am looking for some input. I am a fan of Matthews, but am open to any brand. I currently shoot a Quest Torrent G5 and it has treated me well for the last 4 years with no issues just looking to upgrade. Whatcha guys got?

2. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the best piece of advice i can give you is go out and shoot as many as you can. What you like may not work for you or you just might flat out not like it. I have had my Stinger X since 16, hasnt done me wrong. I will probably upgrade after this season but enough about me. Plain and simple, shoot as many bows due to the difference in height, weight, etc. Good luck!!.

Derek7712 likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With the crazy advancement in bows in the last 10 years...most bows High end are very similar. It's all what flavor ice cream you like. Try them all and make sure you love what to you get

Derek7712 and TN TJ like this.
  4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say go shoot them all and pick the one you like best as long as it's a Hoyt

Derek7712 likes this.
  5. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a Hoyt Carbon fan. But if you like Mathews, check out the triax and no cam. Both nice little bows. I’m thinking of getting a Mathews or PSE again myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek7712 likes this.
  6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2016 Bowtech BTX-28 and just bought the Mathews Triax this year. Love them both! Lots of good brands to look at. I'd take a couple hours and shoot everything your bow shop has to offer.

Derek7712 likes this.
  7. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always bring my current bow in and shoot back to back. Many times I’ve left with my current bow. I shot the triax and thought “meh”. Currently shooting a bowtech experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek7712 likes this.
  8. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Obsession and Mathews, try a few before deciding.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

Derek7712 likes this.
  9. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of a direct comparison to your current setup. Not only will you have a better idea of your comfort level with a new one, it may make you appreciate what's already in your hand and keep you from making a "hype" purchase and being unhappy later on.

Okiebob and Derek7712 like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Barnesdale archery.

Derek7712 likes this.
  11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you already have a bow you like and it's only 4 years old, keep the bow and invest the $1000.

Derek7712 likes this.
  12. Antlers135

Antlers135 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only company that has made real improvements in the last 5 years is Prime. Other manufacturers are just reinventing the wheel. Ironicly, Prime & G5 are the same company.

Derek7712 likes this.
  13. Va arrow jockey

Va arrow jockey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So far you’ve gotten some really good advice. I agree that you should try as many brands and models as you can get in your hands. I own just about every major brand bow there is and they ALL have at least one thing in common. If you set them up to fit your correct draw length and you get them properly tuned, using the correct spines arrows, chances are you will do well. Bows in my opinion are like cars and women in that they require tuning and maintenance. Take care of it and it will treat you right. Keep in mind while shopping for bows that each make and model will have their differences and what feels right for one person may not feel right for another. It’s all about what you’re comfortable and confident in. Each of mine are shooters and there are things I like about each one. I’m not brand loyal to any of the major makers and again they all have subtle differences. You don’t have to break the bank in purchasing a new rig but just bear in mind that most of the time, not always, you get what you pay for nowadays in a bow. Especially when it comes to strings. I remember not so many years ago buying a “one size fits all “ bow that was priced kind of low in a big box sporting goods store. Lesson learned for me. And for whatever reason the strings stretched and I was shooting all over the place. I had my pro shop order and install a quality set and that thing shot like a rifle. I regained my confidence in it and killed a couple deer that year. Just get what feels good to you and you won’t go wrong. All of the above is just my humble opinion! Hope it helps and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's exciting shopping for a new bow. Save your money so you can afford the one you fall in love with after trying several models.