Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished a nice long day of scouting. I will only come back out to the place maybe 2 or 3 more times before the third week of October, or at least that's the plan. I noticed an increase in scrape activity, with all the rain we had this week it's easy to spot the latest activity. No rubs yet but I am sure that will start in the next couple of weeks. My big bucks have been on camera less frequent but after a sneak and study in the woods I noticed a few acorns on the ground and the trees are still loaded. Persimmons are thick and a fee have fallen, I would not have noticed but their is a freshly beaten deer path to each of the patches and coon $hit everywhere with seeds in it, I'm convinced that this is the best way persimmons seed themselves. Anyway, I will post a few pics later when I am on the PC. All in all it was a great day and perfect for a nice long walk, can't wait to just come out here and sit in a tree.

MSBK1 and slickbilly-d like this.
  2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It was 57 degrees today, and I tried to get the wife to go on a hike out on public land just so I could be in the woods. 10/1 is only 22 days away, but when you’ve been waiting since shed season....it’s an eternity.

boonerville, MSBK1 and Okiebob like this.
  3. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thought about going this afternoon but it’s misting rain and I just don’t like hunting when it’s wet before prerut. I just think the deer are so much more likely to smell you when it’s damp. My son is in a tree though. I think he just wanted to get in a tree. His hunt is mostly just for recon and relaxation but you never know. I’ve got pretty firm plans to hunt for the first time Tuesday afternoon. I pretty much have all my stuff ready and my bow is dialed in. I’m so ready for some time in a tree.

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This guy "Whodatdeer" started showing back up. Once again, I am not good at scoring but I am thinking mid 140's.
    IMAG1532.JPG IMAG1536.JPG IMAG1605.JPG

5. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out yesterday afternoon and sat a stand that the previous owner left on my new place. I hadn't been in the stand yet and don't love where it is but I'll probably leave it there for now. Sat for a couple hours and saw a few deer in the neighbor's cornfield but nothing on my side. Some big money people have been buying the ground in the area the last couple years, I've struggled to find someone with a connection. All together they have around 800 acres and I don't think anyone is hunting it. I think I finally found a connection this weekend while tailgating, hopefully it pays off.

Here is my property outlined in yellow and the red is the little honey hole I watched the deer in last night. I'd love feedback on how you guys would hunt it if it were you.

Property1.jpg

6. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can you show us what it looks like more to the SW and SE of the yellow area?

7. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got back from a couple of days of hunting in Georgia, seen a couple does out of range, not much deer activity it was way too hot. Won't be going back hunting until it cools off!

8. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing feeding from the south to speak of. A few fence lines but it is more acreages with a lot less trees.
    Expanded.jpg

9. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    I think I killed the thread... I didn't mean to kill the thread...

Anyone's season start this weekend?

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can you use the water for access?

11. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    C4EBC03C-B9E1-48BA-99DA-654B89BA6DB0.jpeg 14230033-6538-4458-9155-DAB89D074B01.jpeg 0D4FAD16-7307-480A-A365-A56A7E917A21.jpeg 80C63C2C-0845-40C6-893E-2BFEA3EE7D44.jpeg D83886B2-B6D9-49E7-ABAD-B67C535AB9F5.jpeg EF706C04-37E0-4581-9C48-004D9D5EEBC3.jpeg Got the 3 fall plots in down at the farm in southern Illinois. It’s a little late I know. The clover plots are struggling with weeds but I’m not going to give up on them. I’ll give them some clethodim and overseed. This was the mix I used also.

Okiebob, flopdrop and drenman like this.
  12. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    As of right now no.

13. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Can you tell how they’re entering that honey hole to feed?

14. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hear you say Southern Illinois????? How close to Rend Lake? Do you also hire out for tilling small plot areas. My clover looked bad also mowed about 6 inches high twice in the month of August and clover came back thick.

15. drenman

Dislikes Received:
    Not yet, I haven't put the time and effort into it. I know that is a bit sad but this year has been a fecal vortex between the move and traveling for work. I told my wife that I'll play around with it this year and get more serious about it this fall and next spring. By next year I should have it figured out. In the mean time I'll hunt it when I think the wind is ok and see if I can get lucky.

Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  16. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Yup I pass rend on the way down. I’m 10 miles east of Vienna. I would help you out for sure but time is not on my side as of now. Our neighbor finished these up for us because we have been too busy to make it down.

flopdrop likes this.
  17. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is north up in the pic? And prevailing wind from the west? I'm a fringe guy, and think deer tend to be also. The inside corners at the back is where I would start. I bet there are trails just inside the wood line.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

drenman likes this.
  18. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How's everyone doing? Y'all ready for your season opener? Wishing y'all good luck.

I'll be up in God's country Thursday checking cams an making sure nobody has stolen them or our stands.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

slickbilly-d likes this.
  19. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are some states with an opener Saturday, correct?

20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I know Missouri’s is. I may hunt over there but not this early. Supposed to be 88 degrees!

slickbilly-d likes this.