dnoodles & company | Team 4

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by dnoodles, Aug 13, 2018.

1. adam89

adam89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok I will look for it

2. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I really like them. I think dirt nap should take the bleeder out though. It defeats the purpose of a single bevel for bone splitting ability. Ive shot 3 deer with them. Not a single L shaped hole like you get with a 2 blade single bevel. They fly great though. Out of 5 packs I’ve yet to find one that wobbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can totally see that. The extra blade set could easily defeat the advantage of the single-bevel. My wife shoots the Carbon Express head that's very close in design to the double-bevel DRT with the bleeders. (Similar to the Solids also.) Great flying head- no planing at all.

Good to hear the second highlighted part- I had stayed away from DRTs initially because some reviews said some of them were not balanced.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  4. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just made it to bear camp! Excited for my first bear hunt and to be back in the tree with the bow in hand!

peakrut, Fitz and dnoodles like this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    shot my bow for a bit in the basement tonight (15 yards.) Found that in a dense foam broadhead target, the RIP .204s had much better penetration (about 6" better) than did the CX Pile Drivers despite being 100 grains less in weight. If the super heavy Pile Drivers were going to give me any advantages in penetration, it would have been noticeable at that range before it had a chance to lose all the speed. While I am sure there is a point in the distance curve where the sheer mass of the Pile Drivers would out penetrate the RIPs, it is likely outside the capability range of my bow/sight combo (as in well over 100 yards.)

For comparison, the 490gr RIPs out-penetrated a standard diameter Victory Vforce 350 (weighing in at approximately 435gr) by about 2".

Long story short, I am definitely shooting the RIPs this season. Now to get to BH tuning.

6. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is interesting results. I have been thinking about switching to heavier arrows for a few years, as that is where many people are going for more penetration and quieting their bows. I wonder if the pile drivers were too heavy, past the optimized point for your bow? How many grains are the pile drivers?

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    it's in my signature line- but 605gr total finished arrow weight. Yes, very heavy. But within spine parameters; and I'm shooting 70# and have a 30" draw so it's not like I am not pretty much maxed out on both those factors.

The RIPs are small diameter shafts (not micro; but small) and I think therein lies the advantage. A lot less drag compared to the Pile Drivers. The Pile Drivers have (very) roughly 2x the amount of outside surface area which creates a lot of drag, especially in closed cell foam. I think it would be less noticeable in an animal vs. a foam target but still noticeable.

I think the way I have them set up at 490gr of total finished weight; the RIPs are the perfect blend of weight, diameter, speed, and KE. I haven't yet shot them both for comparison at long range; but even with my Fast Eddie sight I don't think I could shoot past 50 with the Pile Drivers. They just drop too fast. Shouldn't be a problem with the RIPs out to 80 or more. I'll make it out to the long distance range next week and report back.

Addendum:
    The Pile Drivers were clocking in at 255fps, which in my opinion is pretty impressive considering that much weight. I have not yet chronoed the RIPs but I'm guessing 290+. The bow is rated to 330.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  9. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that makes sense. How did you land on the RIPs when looking for arrows? Why not go with the TKOs or something like that? Curious as I keep thinking I should change up to a heavier arrow to get more KE and penetration.

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, good luck!

I'm still waiting for the bears to more regularly hit my bait. If they don't start soon, I may wait to sit out until I get back from Colorado.

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big Victory fan and have been for years. I was looking in to small-diameter shafts knowing that I also wanted to go heavy- I hit a buck in the shoulder last year at less than 20 yards and lost him. Did not get much penetration.

So I was reading and some people had issues with the micro shafts like the TKOs. Didn't like the half-serts and outserts. So I was on the Victory website and found the RIPs and they seem to be a good mix of small diameter, decent GPI, (8.8) and FOC. I found out that the heavy HIT inserts fit them which allowed me to get away from their outserts...

...then I found a dozen bare shafts online for $85; and it was a no-brainer. Or so I thought at the time. By the time I bought all my components I could've had a set of finished FMJs for the same price; but I am happy with these. I wanted to end up with about 500gr TAW; and I am right there with my Nockturnals.

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    what if the bleeder was beveled in the same direction? Just curious.

13. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That would make more sense than have the bleeder as a double bevel however I still think 4 blades defeats the purpose. It would require the broadhead to split the bone in 2 directions rather than 1. Doing a push test through potatoes or apples really shows the mechanical advantage of a 2 blade single bevel. In theory I just don’t think the 4 blade creates that mechanical advantage.

14. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My new go to is the Steelforce big Phat Head. It’s a double bevel 1.5 inch 2 blade. Also available in a 4 blade version. I tested the prototype for steelforce 2 years ago and was pleased with the results IMG_1874.JPG IMG_1935.JPG IMG_1941.JPG

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I am about Kinetic energy for sure with a good FOC.(125 Hell Razor NAP) Sept 15th starts the season here in Wisconsin and for once I will be out on opening day.

dnoodles likes this.
  16. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    #metoo

17. Franki

Franki BHOD ProStaff

Dislikes Received:
    I got all kinds of stuff laying around let me look and I post it tom night. Im on night shift and that's about the only time I get to get on a computer anymore.

18. heartstopper

heartstopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Looking ahead to the weather- highs in upper 70s, sunny all weekend. While cooler would be better; it beats last season. Upper 80s and roasting sunshine. I was literally in my stand in shorts and flip flops. Let 2 does walk because I didn't want to deal with spoilage.

20. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Planted this plot 2 weeks ago. Didn’t get any rain on it until yesterday. IMG_4742.JPG
    Sucks