What’s the best bow for target shooting under $1000

Discussion in 'Target Archery' started by Brian10956, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Brian10956

Brian10956 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have recently decided to get back into archery after over a 20 years break do to health issues. I only own one bow a 23 year old High country. I want to get a new bow just for target shooting as that’s what I will be doing over 90 % of the time. I don’t know anything about what the best setup for me would be and I am looking for some guidance. I am a veteran so if anyone is aware of any veteran discounts pass them on. I did hear that Bear has a Veterans program and I’m checking on that. However I don’t know if their bows will be my best choice within my budget. I’ve been working on getting my shooting muscles back in shape as I haven’t shot in years until a few weeks ago. In my new bow I want light weight and probably the bells and whistles that will make me a better shooter. I set up a range in my yard where I can shoot up to 33 yards out. My old bow was way too strong for me at 70# so I lowered it to 55 initially and now I’m shooting at 60#. I think my strength will be back after another month of working on it. I’m really looking forward to shooting more to get in shape as I really hate to do boring exercises time passes faster when I’m enjoying myself and shooting.

w33kender likes this.
  2. Chad Winborne

Chad Winborne Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion is the mathews chill x, you can find them used all day for around 400 shipped. I also had an elite revol that was very nice I just couldn't jive with it, it was a back tension bow for sure it liked to be pulled into. But the chill x is an awesome bow, it's a target bow that holds like a hunting bow and being only 35ata some people hunt with them I only gave 425 for this one

Attached Files:

3. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    $1000 all in including bow, sight, stabs, rest?

$1000 barebow?

Are you planning to shoot competitively?

Lots of variables in this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used Mathews Halon X Comp

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What type of target shooting and what do you want included in that $1000 price tag? For a bare bow, you'll have a ton of options if you are willing to get a slightly used bow. All setup will be a bit tough but you can still do it.

6. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you setting up for indoors spot shooting, or 3D. Big difference. If you’re looking to do both, I’d go with an Elite Pure. Last year they were made was 2013 I believe. You can pick them up used for less than $500. I own one and love it. It’s probably the most comfortable bow to shoot that I’ve ever owned.
    Another plus to Elite is the warranty will transfer to you.

7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i would definitely buy a used bow, plenty of them over at archery talk