Question about which broadhead to use

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by triebs58, Aug 29, 2018.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hellrazors at 7:06

2. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough. They just don't look solid to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Really...well what does look solid to you then? I'm not sure what kind of mechanical advantage you think would be better than a Hellrazors design. I can see an argument for a two blade head having less friction but a lot of broadhead performance comes down to the details of the arrow combination it's screwed onto. I'm biased strongly against mechanicals.

4. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mechanical advantage is the "work" the head can do based on the angle and length of the blades.

One piece heads just scream strength. I know others are strong but there no denying a one piece high quality steel head. My #1 choice is cutthroats but there are many more. For 3 blade I'd go with vpa.[​IMG]

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, yeah I'm well aware of what mechanical advantage means, I just couldn't see an argument for any head of the same weight having a better mechanical advantage than the hellrazors. I thought maybe you were going to try to argue that some mechanical head had a mechanical advantage over the hellrazors or something. As many deer as I've killed with mine, if any heads do have a better mechanical advantage, it's not needed, at least not with a 75# DW, it'd just be stupid overkill.

Seeing as how the hellrazors are made just like the VPA vented three blades then we agree on pretty much everything, you just weren't giving the hellrazors a fair shake for some reason. It's pretty obvious that a one piece non-vented head is going to be "stronger" than a vented head at some point. That point is far beyond what a broadhead will ever encounter with a deer in any case. I posted the video showing the hellrazors being shot into a steel plate and barely getting marred, unless deer start getting stainless steel plate implants, I think the hellrazors or going to perform right up there with the best of the best. Since I've never had one break going through the hardest part of a deer, I don't see much need of buying 50-60 dollar non-vented cutthroat heads unless I just want to show off (which there's nothing wrong with when I can afford it).

6. triebs58

triebs58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watch a video on YouTube of a guy shooting 3/4 plywood the monotec almost made it all the way through and the blade was fine I’ll give them a shot see how they work the design isn’t much different than the hell razor

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

CoveyMaster likes this.
  7. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. Except 3 cutthroats are 45 and guaranteed for life ;)

CoveyMaster likes this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    guy is playing with fire shooting into steel at that close w/o eye pro.

9. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Magnus black hornets are great broadheads. I haven’t had a problem with them yet... I can hit as good as my field tip at 50 yards. I haven’t need to shoot further than that at my set up

10. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think Montecs are a poor choice.

11. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm giving these a try this year. Really like the stingers, these seem a bit more finicky about my release, but look like they'll make a nice hole, and can't beat the warranty

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am also giving these a go. I couldn't get them to tune last year on short time but I am getting there this season in my new bow.

13. ksWThntr

ksWThntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm. I shoot the original spitfires and spitfire Max’s. 62 lb draw, 28.5inch draw length, 100 grain point, right around 415 grains total arrow weight. I’ve never had a problem with penetration on a well-placed shot on white tail. Anything bigger or more distant shots, fixed blade is the key.

14. triebs58

triebs58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a problem in clipping the shoulder blade so I’m hoping with a fix blade I can pass through it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Better mive to a CoC if that's your goal.

16. TineAddict10

TineAddict10 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What lol I’ll admit that I am no physics major and far from it but I can tell you from experience that schwacker Broadheads DEF work and in the last 4 years using them the only one that didn’t pass through was a spine shot which was my fault. I am switching to grim reapers just to give em a try this year but in my opinion a mechanical is a mechanical which means something can go wrong with any of them... I am not saying I’m 100% correct but from what I have read and seen you get more penetration with the OTT vs the rear deploy, not as big of entrance maybe but just bc you don’t agree with the concept doesn’t mean it doesn’t work bc there are a ton of dead deer from schwacker... I’m into trying diff Broadheads like the spitfire and reaper but think the schwacker is a great head

17. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Physics shmysics I say...plenty of deer are put down quick with massive blood trails with over the top mechanicals i.e. Nap Spitfire, Wasp jackhammers etc...I think trying to get cute and hug the shoulder leads to more issues than broadhead choice. A solid double lung hit is always a great choice and I see a shwacker or a Spitfire double-cross doing a great job.

Now I will agree I feel like the spitfire/slingblade concept does lend itself to decreased penetration vs say a Rage Hypo or a Killzone, but they fly really well and they put an awfully nice hole in a deer with a well placed shot.

I did happen to buy some shwackers that I got for a ridiculously cheap price and in the end I couldn't see fit to carry them in the field as they didn't inspire confidence in the build. Those rubber bands were all loose and the blades would rattle...you had to heat them up to shrink back down...no good for me.