Team 21 BOONER NOCKOUT!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by mathewsmq1, Aug 13, 2018.

1. mathewsmq1

mathewsmq1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes! I'd definitely rather being homeschooled than public school any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s cool. In Ben Sasses “The Vanishing American Adult” he speaks very highly of home schooling(and not so highly of public schools). It seems like it could be a really good experience. My X wife wasn’t on board with it so it wasn’t really an option for my daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mathewsmq1 likes this.
  3. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20180901_185956.jpg Dove hunting Saturday was so so, but did have a doe come out into my weedy food plot. If you can't tell, we had some sprayer problems that day lol.

Westfinger and mathewsmq1 like this.
  4. Josh Reed

Josh Reed Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well finally got my hang on stand and climbing sticks delivered. Got them put together. Hoping to get out tomorrow. Also ordered ladder stand that got delivered. They sent to wrong house and it's missing. So been on FedEx and sportsman guide to get fixed. Getting the run around. Hopefully can get new stand sent soon or refund. Just a headache

Roll Tide Roll

5. Josh Reed

Dislikes Received:
    Pulled cards off cams yesterday, about the same as last. No bucks just does and 3 fawns. Hopefully once rut starts the bucks will show back up

Roll Tide Roll

6. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0005.JPG finally got my 2 man tree stand put together! But I’m missing the brace that goes from the ladder to the tree. So I’ll probably end up welding the piece for it. I’m soooo ready for deer season!

Happy, Westfinger and Josh Reed like this.
  7. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    The score card thread is up! Once season starts I’m spending as much time as I can in the woods trying to kill some deer!

8. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    I need your guys opinions on this. So I’ve got this 5 acre chunk of wooded area where my cousin said he was going to poach at, and I’m tired of being scared of him poaching. Should I put my tree stand with climbing sticks out on that land and just take out the bottom stick so he can’t use it? Should I put my feeder out and put my camera up in a tree? And if he does kill a deer out there should I call the warden? I just don’t know what I should do.

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Tell him to man up and hunt legally. No deer is worth a hefty fine, losing your right to hunt, a criminal record that may make it difficult for you to get a job or travel outside the US. His selfishness is ruining your spot and his selfish act will give all hunters a bad name and ruin your families reputation.

None of that may matter but it should get the conversation flowing.

mathewsmq1 likes this.
  10. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    I certainly wouldn’t do anything to enable him like putting out a feeder or stand he can access.

mathewsmq1 likes this.
  11. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    I sorta have to respect him because he’s a couple years older than me. I wouldn’t have any problems with him if he’d just hunt legally, not to be a Jack wagon towards me and if he’d at least pitch in some money for equipment and corn. But he isn’t good at doing any of those and he’s a drop out and he doesn’t have a Job. I know his dad has 3-4 outstanding poaching tickets and I’m sure he’ll have some for his self soon.

At the moment I’m trying to get permission to hunt the vacant 5 acre chunk of land next to the land I was wanting to hunt so I can still try to kill the big bucks that are out there buts it’s sorta hard to get ahold of the land owner. I know I’ve got 4-5 nice bucks out there that are probably over 130” this year, and at least 2 of them are over 150”, I think 1 of them could get 180” this year depending on what he’s gained from last year.

I’m also trying to get permission to hunt my bosses land next to my house where I’ve seen some nice deer but I wasn’t able to really tell how big they are. I’m hoping he’ll let me hunt it since he hasn’t hunted out there since 2015. I’ll probably offer to give him half of the meat I get.

12. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    Unsolicited advice here... family or not, this guy is going nowhere. I'd keep my distance and not be an accomplice when he gets caught. Lastly, respect is always earned, regardless of age. Maybe I missed it, but where are you hunting that is all 5 acre lots?

mathewsmq1 and Westfinger like this.
  13. Josh Reed

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with all of above. I know you hunt with your parents, I would talk to them. If worried may they can help handle the issue. Respect is earned and sometimes family isn't always blood. Seems like a rough bunch that you should keep away from

Roll Tide Roll

14. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    I try to stay away from him as much as I can but it’s my great grandmas land and she has the family over every Sunday and he shows up. My great uncle told me he’d have a talk with my cousin on Sunday but it would cause a whole bunch of crap with his mom, grandpa, and aunt. My great grandma never even told him he could be out on her land. He’s actually threatened to shoot my trail camera. I’ve got no problem calling the warden because they’d love to catch him and I’m good friends with one of the wardens.

The land I hunt is in Westville, OK Adair county

15. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    I might just act like I’m going to hunt out there this season and if he decides to tell me he’s going out there to poach I’ll give him a chunk of weed I have to say.

16. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds to me like this guy is adding nothing but drama to your life. I would just try my best to not have to deal with him and hunt somewhere that I know he’s not before something happens to you and your hunting privelages. Regardless of how big the deer are!!!

17. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    Planted the oats today and put up my new camera. Checked my 2 cameras I had up. The cheapo tasco had a few pics of various animals but no deer. The other camera had lots of pics that didn't load to the card. Frustrating day to say the least. Back to work tomorrow....

18. Jay b

Jay b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You'll have to scare him somehow into thinking if he hunts it he'll get caught or you'll just have to call on him. I had a friend that owed back child support so he couldn't get a license anymore but would always try to poach our spots or his dad house. We ended up calling the dnr tip line and gave them the info we knew of and they sat out the spots and he eventually seen the warden sitting there and was scared to hunt the areas.

19. Jay b

Jay b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10 more days. I cant wait im like a kid at Christmas lol just waiting to climb up one of my stands and watch that opening day sun rise from The tree tops.

Josh Reed, mathewsmq1 and Westfinger like this.
  20. mathewsmq1

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys! If my other property doesn’t show any good deer, that 5 acres will be my last resort.