Shooting from elevated ground blind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mpeck2892, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Mpeck2892

Mpeck2892 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have seen a lot people that have made elevated stands for their ground blinds. I have something I came across that would get the blind up 4ft, and was thinking about putting that on a old flatbed trailer I have so I could move it easily if wanted, I think the trailer would get it another 1.5-2ft. So maybe 6ft or a little less to the base of the blind. How is it shooting your bow out the windows at this height? Our open/switchgrass field is on top of a ridge. And everywhere I would put it I would also have some downhill shooting to the wood edges/small food plots. Just worried it may difficult shooting from the blind windows.

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry about it at all. The last two years the majority of my hunting has been out of elevated blinds. I shot my opening day 165" buck last year out of a blind on a 4ft platform. Then I shot my 150" late season buck out of the same blind. This year I have a half dozen 4-6ft platforms with either hub blinds or bale blinds on them.

3. Mpeck2892

Dislikes Received:
    I’m also not sure where I want to use it, do you think it would be better to set out in the field with no cover except some taller grass, will stick out to deer, but they shouldn’t be walking by it too close, or put it on the wood line where it will have some cover, but good chance deer will be walking right next the base of it.

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would put it in the best location to shoot a deer. The blinds I think bother hunters more than the deer. I have had zero deer freak out about where I put the blind whether it is in the open or in cover

5. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody know of a good light weight commercially available ground blind stand? I would love to put one on my lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Build it man plenty of plans online. Think of it this way if you bought it you would have to assemble it just build it and save $.

greatwhitehunter3 and Westfinger like this.
  7. Mpeck2892

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s what I’m planning on using. Large metal cable reel turned on its side. It’s about 4ft high that way, and they are about 7ft accoss. just attaching plywood to the top. I work at a cable company so I can get some, but most local utilities will have these, don’t know if they would give them out or not as I think they get some money back for returning/recycling them. I made one already and put a old big game box blind on, seems like it will work well, and they would be easy to move.

upload_2018-9-2_16-45-43.jpeg

upload_2018-9-2_16-46-14.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-2_16-47-2.jpeg

upload_2018-9-2_16-48-19.jpeg

Westfinger likes this.
  8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I owned the ground I would build something. Everything has to be carried in, no atv’s etc. Being able to roll in a couple of spools would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to find myself some of those.

Edit: I see you're in Minnesota, ever have any extras laying around?

10. Mpeck2892

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where you are located, but I’m in Austin. If that’s a close enough drive for you I can get some once in awhile. Typically in late spring and Mid summer when a lot of lines are getting burried.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Redwood County so about 2 hours west of you. If you ever get some, keep me in mind!