Hunting the wind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Cayden, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, so I have 40 acres that it is almost impossible to hunt stands based on wind direction. The deer do not use runs almost at all, they just wander through, I have hunted this property for 17 years and can identify only one major runway and it is primarily only used during winter months. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue. I have added food plots, bedding areas thick cover I do not go into and still, I cannot get any consistent movement to dictate stand location. So how do you hunt the wind...HELP!

2. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are allowed go in there in the Spring and hinge some trees to create a pinch point that will force directional movement through a section of the woods. Try to use other natural elements like terrain or water if possible to help direct movement. You just want to set it up as subtly as possible so that a deer traveling through that area of the woods is generally directed through a spot of your choosing that is no more than 40-60 yards wide. Then you just set your stand in the center of the mouth of the funnel. Logically you want to consider the wind direction you are setting this up for. You don’t want to finish a days work and then realize you can only hunt it with a wind that you seldom get in your area.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with msbk and will add. If you have the means you could clear cut a acre in the middle and put a plot and then access won't be a issue and 39 acres is small enough that all the deer will come to the plot at some point. But plot hunting does get boring imho

4. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I uploaded a few pics from huntstand to better explain my situation. So far from what you said I've been spot on with my work... The property is made up of two great big hills that run east and west with 3 valleys making up the remainder of the property. We have well established logging trails that run all through the valley making a big circle with a couple roads in the middle (up over the hill) the hills are unique as the far west side of the propery is very flat but sits at the same elevation as the hills in the middle of the property (if you can read a Topo, the map I posted will explain this perfectly), the way my 40 acres sets it almost makes a huge natural funnel going east and west using the valleys (logging roads) as the funnel, so with that in mind I put a 2 acre food plot in on the far east side of the property hoping to do exactly what you said almost herd them in one direction...didn't work they come from everywhere, I also have a natural creek and pond from runoff just north of the food plot, same thing no runways just tracks everywhere...this was my grandpa's property that I learned to hunt on, I bought it after his passing. Trying to learn these deer and this property as become almost a obsession and it has me baffled lol, I read, eat, sleep hunting and I just cannot figure it out. (Sorry for the long message) I need some professional help!

Attached Files:

5. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats another thing there is a 30 year old aspen clear cut kiddycorner to my property you can see it in the picture. I consider that there primary bedding.

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What direction is your access

7. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My house is far east side of my property along the north and south border. State land to North and west side of me and a seasonal public access road separating the neighbor's property on the south side of property....so I come into the property from the east but if could go in from all sides...

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you ( geographically )

9. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Central lower Michigan pretty much dead center of the mitten.

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think my approach is what I'm sure you have thought of. I would hinge cut and tighten up that hill funnel. And sit at the mouth. But I would run some serious cams to verify it's production

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok well NY isn't that far away. I guess I could come hunt it for a week and give you my opinion lol
    You mentioned you grow up on this land. Has any approaches working in the past.

Cayden likes this.
  12. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir I have and continue to do exactly. Hopefully I seeing progress soon.

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck brother...great property is built more often than found

Shane0709 likes this.
  14. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    H
    Hey I'm not opposed to opening the door for anyone who shares the passion...it's crazy my grandpa and grandma owned the land for 40 years roughly but never shot anything worth putting on the wall. But they were meat hunters, and were never really after the antlers, it was just more of a added bonus....kicker is to the northnof us there is thousands of acrea that a gas pipeline owns and no one can hunt...everyone in the area knows this road to have giants on it 160-180+....my closet neighbor to the north of the gas plant shoots 140-170" deer every year (farm land) this property has only had 3 decent bucks taken off it and the biggest was maybe 110".....have pictures of them on trail cams, but cannot figure out how to figure them out.

15. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

16. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate it man, it's a good thing I plan on dying here and I'm only 30 so good lord willing I've got some work to do.

Attached Files:

17. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't forget the golden rule.
    To kill big bucks you gotta pass on them for years first.

cantexian likes this.
  19. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a few that I have my heart on seeing this year....prop prop has lots of potential I think

Attached Files:

20. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know and it's so hard lol, i started a rule for myself I will only shoot a buck of its bigger and more mature than my last. So far my best is a 3.5 year old 110" 8, probably should have let him walk, but glad I didnt because he opened my eyes to a whole different addiction to hunting.

Attached Files:

Shocker99 likes this.