RACK AND ROLL! TEAM 14!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by kjstaudt86, Aug 13, 2018.

1. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Biggest buck ive seen hit the ground as a 5 or 6 point last year by a buddy! 0BA4829E-D635-4A13-9E15-6B50601ED929.png

kb1785 and Simplman like this.
  2. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never seen a 6 this big. He looks like an old bruiser. What do you guys think of him.

Attached Files:

kb1785, Josh/OH, P&YChaser and 3 others like this.
  3. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my hes a stud! Gata be at least 5 or 6 looks older

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checked my cam today, but only had this antler challenged guy come through on my birthday. I did spook the doe with her fawns that I have pics of on the way in. I caught one of the fawns watching me leave. I made like I didn't see it and it just stood there as I went by.

Attached Files:

kb1785, Simplman and dustywilmuth like this.
  5. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Happy late birthday!

dustywilmuth and early in like this.
  6. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Overall had a good day on the lease. Checked a few cameras and Jumped up a few deer including a very large buck at about 15 yards in a overgrown clear cut that I'm assuming they are using it as a bedding location now since most of it now is about 6' tall full of all kinds of greenery. I was Venturing off into parts of the unknown on my lease. It sits on what I consider a saddle way in the back of my lease and no one hunts it. I put out two cameras along this "saddle", one being at the top just inside the tree line near the old clear cut which is where is the buck came from and another about at the midway portion of the saddle on a trail. I'm hoping the bucks are using this to back section to cross back and forth. I'm still learning topo. So hopefully it pays off.

Other than that a few bucks on camera but the one I'm still after is still eluding me on camera!

7. dustywilmuth

Dislikes Received:
    Happy bday! Im going to check all my cameras tommaro hopfully can share some good pics!

early in likes this.
  8. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All this buck talk got me back into the woods to set a camera on a pinch point next to a corn field. I was really gonna try and stay out of the woods but y’all got me fired up. My fire was quickly put out by walking around in the pouring rain lol. Perfect time to scout, but I was soaked! Bumped one doe on a corn field. I did find a giant track along the field I set the camera on. Probably try and sneak in next weekend to change cards. Best of luck fellas, I’m sure we are all counting the minutes.

Attached Files:

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I love finding sign like that, fuels the anticipation. :tu:

Josh/OH likes this.
  10. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    I also found a fresh scrape believe it or not. I tend to find them a lot in the summer on the lease. I moved one of my brownings and switched it to video mode on the scrape to see what's coming to it. I've had good luck with summer time scrapes.

Attached Files:

Josh/OH, Simplman and dustywilmuth like this.
  11. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm chomping at the bit to get back out to my stomping grounds and check some cams. We (and by "we", I mean buckeye) put in a mock scrape on a trail that we had great cam success on last year. We discovered the "scrape trail" (it's way more active than a traditional scrape line) later in the season. Only bummer is it's on heavy pressured public land.. we had one cam stolen and another card stolen from a second cam, so I threw my cheapest cam on this mock scrape. I'm hoping it's safe until the first or second week of Oct. It almost never gets any daylight activity, but over time I think it will give us pics of nearly every buck in the area.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Carry in one stick and hang em high, been my ticket anywhere sticky hands exist.

Josh/OH likes this.
  13. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I have that very thought every time I get out of the truck an start walking... while my sticks are all at home in the closet lol :confused:

14. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thieves are the damn worst! Hope you have a camera there with some good photos the next time you check!

Josh/OH likes this.
  15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One section of a hawk set just rides behind my driver's seat for this very reason. :)

Josh/OH likes this.
  16. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Mad props to you guys hunting public. I have public bow only land that borders our lease. I want to do a public land hunt out of state next year (MO or KY). Do you guys that are taking those trips to other states to hunt , do you guys make trips to those pieces of property or let Google do the scouting for you and try your luck once you get there? Would love to hear how some of you guys do it!

17. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Alright guys, looks like everyone on this team is checked in, team captain send me a message.

18. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have 10.000 acres public wildlife management area within 8 miles of my house.its the only place i hunt. the state plants the food plots every year and about the only time i see other hunters is a few on the weekend.i get a lot out of my tax $.my avatar deer is one i killed there.

dustywilmuth, kb1785 and Josh/OH like this.
  19. Josh/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I usually trip over 4-6 guys on my way to the stand... most are from the east coast, but a fair number com from the south as well. Last year, we were shown a pic of a nice buck, by a crew that made the trip from Louisiana. The pic was shared with them by a crew of guys that were headed back home to Texas.... a pic that was taken by our cam that they stole lol... God I hate public land hunting in Ohio!!!

KJ, our little crew here (me, buckeye, Ewing and Francis) all have Iowa points. We should be good to draw tags in 2020. We selected the areas we like through cyber-scouting and with some help from a few friends out that way, but we want to make 2 trips out for some first-hand scouting in late Feb or early March; one trip for each of the next two years. I've been drooling over the thought of Iowa for a couple years already!

20. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Today I got my second antlerless tag in the mail. This will definitely help our cause! :tu:

kb1785, Josh/OH and Oldcarp like this.