Fixed blade broad head recommendations

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JHasty, Mar 1, 2018.

1. adam89

adam89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot a hoyt ignite with 28 inch draw length and draw weight of 67 lbs I am using G5 striker fixed blades 100 grain, I havent killed a deer with them yet but they fly great dead on out to 30 yards same as my 100 grain field points. When and if I get a chance to shoot a deer with them I will be glad to post my results on how effective they are. Sorry if this dont exactly give you the info ur exactly wanting.

JHasty likes this.
  2. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Slick Trick;
    Standard, Magnum or Viper Trick are all great choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JHasty likes this.
  3. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A vote for the Slick trick standards for me. Easy to tune and fly exactly like a field point so not much tuning or readjustment is needed. You wont be disappointed.

JHasty likes this.
  4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve never heard anything bad about Slick Tricks.

Edit: NEVER

JHasty and dnoodles like this.
  5. Billkil1187

Billkil1187 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I too lost a deer last year with the Montecs due to blood trail! It was devastating not recovering a animal... I switched to the G5 strikers this year... things are scary sharp! I like the way they fly... hopefully leave better blood then montecs!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    JHasty likes this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Likely yes; and Strikers are very deadly but just understand they are pretty much one-and-done. Hit anything hard as a rib and you will almost assuredly have to buy replacement blades. The one-piece ferules are plenty tough but the steel in the blades are very soft. Kind of ticked me off considering they were $40/3 and a set of replacement blades weren't cheap either.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    JHasty and Billkil1187 like this.
  7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    how about a....meh thing about Slick Tricks?
    They're not the most penetrating heads out there. 4 equal blades is a lot of mass trying to push though a small area at the same time. It creates a lot of drag. They're awesomely constructed and sharp; but they do have that one drawback. I'd much rather shoot ViperTricks; especially at low draw weight.

I am also a self-admitted broadhead floozie...and today I came across a heckuva deal on Trophy Taker A-Tacs....so I had to pull the trigger. They should be arriving Friday. Needless to say I am very curious what they do on both my 605gr PileDrivers and 490gr RIPs. :evilgrin:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    JHasty likes this.
  8. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Slick tricks seemed to dominate this thread! wow, good read.

JHasty likes this.
  9. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great read on this thread.

JHasty likes this.
  10. triebs58

triebs58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about useing the 125 grain hell razor what do u guys think of them

JHasty likes this.
  11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love them, I'd give them 10 out of 5 stars.

JHasty likes this.
  12. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very good head, used them one season and my son latched on to them. Get a couple good wide stones and a piece of leather, take your time and they’re easy to sharpen.

JHasty likes this.
  13. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    NAP also makes a donation to the RMEF for every pack of HellRazor sold. Win-Win situation.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    JHasty likes this.
  14. triebs58

triebs58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just another reason to try them out thanks for the info

JHasty likes this.
  15. Kevin Day

Kevin Day Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Sota. At only 42# draw weight I would not use a mechanical broadhead. The energy lost in the blades expanding will greatly decrease your penetration. My son shot 40# draw weight and used a 100 grain 4 blade slick trick. He killed 2 deer with that set up before he was strong enough to increase his draw weight. The fixed blade will continue to work inside the animal if you don't get a pass through, the mechanical not so much. I have used 100 grain slick tricks and they have never let me down. They were the best flying fixed blade I've ever used.

JHasty and BB1 like this.
  16. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a set of Muzzy 3 blades I have used for years on hogs. I will touch up the edge and let em fly. I have taken 70-80 hogs with them in the last 10 yrs. this year I am trying the Muzzy Trocar in 100gr for deer.

JHasty likes this.
  17. bowhntr4life

bowhntr4life Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Slick trick!

JHasty likes this.
  18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    A-Tac update- killed my buck over the weekend with one on the end of a Victory RIP .204 for 500gr TAW (including Nockturnal- see total set up in my signature line. I was using my Bowtech. I haven't chronoed it since I went to these arrows but I am guessing it's 275-280ish FPS.

The arrow was released from approximately 25' in the air. The deer was maybe 15-18 yards away, very slight quarter-to. You math nerds figure out the vertical angle of entry. Anyway, it zipped through the deer, broke one rib and passed between the last ribs on the other side. The arrow buried over 16" deep into the ground on a narrow angle. Fairly soft thin topsoil with sand once you get 3-4 inches down. It was very hard to pull out- I was worried I was going to lose the insert. Guessing I hit a rock also- the very end of the tip was bent. I have not yet tried to sand that out. The bleeder blades are surprisingly still very sharp, but the lead tip is fairly dulled. If I can get that bend out of the tip it is salvageable.

The deer made it about 100 yards from me, give or take. Nearside lung clean, clipped second lung and clipped liver.The blood started out a little spotty; could only tell liver at first but I knew where I put it so I knew the lungs would start shutting down soon. After maybe 50 yards he started spitting up blood and it was tell tale bubbly. The last 15 yards looked like someone took a paintbrush and dipped it in a bucket.

All told, I really really like the penetration. It zipped through that deer like nothing. But I have gotten very similar penetration results from a broadside shot on a buck with a Rage Hypodermic original (not tried the new one) and that was with a much lighter arrow.

The holes were not the biggest but they were OK. Decent, but not great blood until he started coughing and snorting it out.

All told, I think they are very good heads, they fly amazing for broadheads. Literally the most accurate broadhead I've ever shot, every bit as good as a Montec which for me was the previous champ in that category. And they do that with a slightly larger cutting diameter. That being said, I don't think they are a great whitetail broadhead- they're a bit small. You can get away with using a larger profile head that leaves bigger holes.

JHasty likes this.
  19. Matt7705

Matt7705 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ramcats are awesome!

dnoodles and JHasty like this.
  20. Swampwise

Swampwise Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Prefer 125 grain anything magnus, qad exodus, and nap thunderheads.

justinwmoe88 and JHasty like this.