Strangest thing to ever happen to you while hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CToutdoorsman, Aug 19, 2018.

1. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I want to hear the best stories you all have!
    Mine is this, I was ground hunting on a property I have permission on and it was about 9:30 in the morning I was planning on leaving around 10 so I wasn't expecting to see anything for the last 30 mins. about 5 mins later I catch movement behind a tree, 2 seconds later a woman appears from behind the tree unwinding a ball of twine through the woods. She spots me and heads over to me, at this point I am standing up and greet her. I ask what she is doing and she says "I am looking for my cat" I said oh okay is the twine so you don't get lost? she replies "No it has the smell of my house on it so when my cat finds it she can follow it home" I thought to myself that is the strangest thing I had ever heard. I asked her how long her cat had been missing she said 3 months. at that point, I was thinking that cat is long gone because we have a good coyote population in the area. She then asked if I was shooting arrows,.......I said yes I am, and she said okay I walked right down into the area where I expected the deer to come from so my hunt was over. lol That still stands out to me as the strangest encounter.
    How about you all?

2. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    DNR guy walked up and said, "place your hands behind your back"

Hillbilly Jedi and jackflap like this.
  3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We were hunting in CT. quite a few yrs ago. A woman appeared out of nowhere. She was holding a big pot and ladle. She paralleled us walking through the woods at about 30yds. She began to pound on the pan with the ladle screaming "Run deer run". Anti of course. We contacted DEP over the incident as CT has hunter harassment laws. We were told "oh yea we know all about her" We said that we wanted to press charges. No charges were ever brought up against her.

4. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting private property - two teenagers squirrel hunting get to the property line and proceed to trespass into my hunting area. Lead hunter stops 20 yards from my tree stand, sits his gun down on a tree and take a piss.

I allowed him to start re leaving himself - but not finish. Needless to say he didn't know I was in the tree.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    cantexian and ash d like this.
  5. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Urban hunting last season, a little before dark I hear something moving toward my stand. Stand up and look in the direction of the noise. Expecting to see a doe, imagine my surprise to see a young man with a rifle walking through the woods (keep in mind we are within the city limits.) He continues on his path toward me and finally sees my tracks in the snow. During this time I got my binos on him and saw that the rifle was actually an air rifle. He follows the direction of the tracks to and up the tree and sees me. He waves and tells me he will try to stay out of my way. I nod at him in confirmation. He walks off and starts messing with what sounded like sheet metal. I decide that my hunt is over for the day and walk back to my truck. When I get back I call the police and let them know the situation as you need special permission from the city to be back there and he was carrying an air rifle. They show up and get my statement and tell me that they have problems with folks thinking they can camp in the area. Ruined a hunt for me.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet if you quit shooting at deer past 40 yards this wouldn't happen. :busted:

MUDSHARK likes this.
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did you know he was Do Not Resuscitate

MSBK1 likes this.
  8. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    SO, what happened??

9. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, a lot of you guys and gals won't believe me last January I saw what appeared to be a black see through misty person!! I sh-t you not!! I have no idea what I saw, and to this day I swear it was a full body apparition!! Call me crazy, but its what I saw!!

10. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got to the stand about 3pm one evening, one of those crisp fall afternoons with a gentle breeze helping the red oak leaves find their way to the ground. The bluejays announced my arrival and I was greeted by the barking of three grey squirrels. Off in the distance two does were sipping from the crystal clear spring that runs through the woods. As the sun was waning on the horizon, I saw what appeared to be a short, thin figure gliding across the field. It had a white phosphorus glow and long blonde hair. As this figure continued its approach it became clear to me that it was moving directly towards me. My pulse quickened and I began to sweat. I was so terrified that I dropped by bow from the tree and quickly began my decent. As I reached the bottom of the tree I realized I was not going to make it. The creature was almost upon me at this point. I thought the best thing to do was to ball up on in the leaves and pray. Suddenly it was upon me. Instantly I felt the most intense pain I had ever felt in my rear end. Right after she kicked me in the butt my wife said "I told you not to go hunting tonight"!

11. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As in an african american? Or dark black figure?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Halonhunter and axtell343 like this.
  12. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not hunting but close enough... so one late August afternoon I went to glass a secluded bean field right before dark. As I emerged from the ditch bordering the field I saw what at first looked like a person on another persons shoulders. As I closed the distance I put the binos on them and realized that it was a male and a female engaged in “amore’ “. The best part was that the guy never once took his eyes away from scanning the bean field. He was there to do the same thing that I was doing. He was just way better at planning than me. I only brought binoculars.

I didn’t see any deer that evening since I got out of there as soon as I realized what was going on but I laughed the rest of the night until my sides hurt. I knew the guy and to this day I’ve never told him about it.

Shane0709, grommel, axtell343 and 5 others like this.
  13. w1ckstar

w1ckstar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last season towards the end of the October on a cool morning the landowner was casually driving through the woods in his vintage convertible with the top down while smoking a cigar. That left me quite confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

grommel likes this.
  14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While scouting a field from the road I stopped when I saw a couple coyotes about 100 yds from me. I noticed the one was looking up in the sky when all the sudden a meteorite the size of a basketball came blazing down out of the sky into that field. I don’t know why I didn’t find out who owns the field and ask farmer if I could go look for it. It could have burned up or been the size of a pea when it hit the ground for all I know but Those things can be worth some big money. Definitely the coolest scouting trip I’ve been on in awhile

grommel likes this.
  15. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That's insane if i was in that situation i would have thought long and hard about jumping that fence anyway that a once in a lifetime experience!

16. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Earthquake

17. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple years ago had an owl came from behind me and try to snatch my beanie off my head.

30 some years ago while hunting a State Park had a woman walk right in front of me dropped her pants and pee'd. When she was done I cleared my throat and she looked up at me startled and said your not going to rape me are you??? I said not this time but if you come back and do that again I might just have to.

ash d likes this.
  18. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey hunting, had worked a bird for over two-three hours. Back and forth, up and down the side of a mountain. Finally this bird had committed and I can just see his white and blue head through some dense saplings. Just one or two more steps. Hunting in very secluded area with an unused (normally) road below me about 300 yards away. I hear a vehicle coming up this road in the gravel, the vehicle stops exactly below me (there is no way anyone knew I was there) and I hear a door open. All the while the tom is coming into range. While needing only the one or two more steps from the Tom and I am fixated on him the yahoo in the car starts firing a semi-auto pistol about 10-12 times. Scares the beejesus out of me and the turkey also. Never saw the turkey again.

19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Creepy dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocker99 and Fix like this.
  20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thought the exact same thing. Post should be removed/edited.

cantexian likes this.