Warm base layer

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JHasty, Apr 18, 2018.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I’m from Georgia and it doesn’t get super cold here like some places in the Midwest during deer season. It usually doesn’t get cold until right at the end of season in January or right after. When I say cold it may get in the 20’s if we are lucky. I am trying to get some opinions on good base layers and the material they are made of. I’m good for a few hours but usually my feet get cold then the rest follows. I want to buy a quality set of base layer that will last. Something not incredibly bulky because I strictly bow hunt so I want something that will not hinder my draw to much but at the same time will keep me good and warm without having to wear a bunch of layers. I know alot of people talk about merino wool but is there anything better and if not what percentage of merino should I look for. I know I have seen merino socks that some are 60% and some that have been 81%. Just trying to get some advice from fellow hunters because I don’t want to go out and drop several hundred dollars on base layers and the still get cold. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cant go wrong with merino wool as a base layer. You can get them in several thicknesses. If you look hard you can find them on sale for decent prices. I got a few Minus33 base shirts in various thicknesses and then use a primaloft vest with a light jacket. The feet are hard, you have to control moisture. You have to find out what works for you. You can try foot powder in combination with a thin polyester sock against your skin and then a insulation layer like merino wool socks.

You can get some decent stuff at reasonable prices but you have to shop around for it. For example at military surplus stores you might be able to get a good set of poly pro for a reasonable price or check eBay. If you are wearing an outer layer for camo you can get merino sweaters on eBay for decent prices.

Hope that helped and good luck!

JHasty likes this.
  3. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been using an Under Armour base layer. That being said, I don’t sit too often below 32* here in Kansas During the rut. As far as keeping your feet warm I’d wear a couple pairs of socks, thin pair of socks followed by a good thick pair of wool. Also don’t be afraid to put down a small section of carpet on the foot stand of your tree stand. Sounds kinda silly but the heat you lose through conduction from your boots sitting on a metal foot stand would surprise you. -Simplman-

JHasty and kurveball18 like this.
  4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Aw man. Some days waking up to hunt i'm hoping its in the 20's but yet its 5 degrees lol. I use the Under armour cold gear 4.0 base layer or the 3.0. then I have a nice wind shear sweater before putting on my good coat.

JHasty likes this.
  5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, Keep your hands, head, and feet warm and you will be surprised how well your core stays warmer as well.

JHasty likes this.
  6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    JHasty likes this.
  7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My feet get SO cold SO quick its ridiculous, mainly because they sweat, Generally bring another pair of socks when it gets cold but because my boots arent breathable I will start walking to the stand wearing a different pair of shoes this year nd switching to the mucks when im up in the tree. Once my feet get cold the sit becomes pretty miserable.

JHasty likes this.
  8. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    JHasty likes this.
  9. Abram

Abram Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dude the Under Armor base layers 1.0-4.0 are game changers! Got some for Christmas last year and they're amazing... Do some research on which are best for you. Just know that they're made to keep heat in... so the more you move around (aka: hiking) the more heat will build up. I got the 3.0 and walked about 300 yards to my blind. I was sweating in 10 degree weather and then when I got to the blind I was fine. GREAT STUFF!!!

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-base-20-crew/pcid1239724

10. buckhunter217

buckhunter217 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer my merino wool over my ua

11. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas insulated stand hunter pants and top seem like an awesome choice. I might give them a try this fall. Anyone on here heard of these?

12. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Merino vs synthetics is the end all of debates, much like mechanical vs fixed! I personally use merino and find it keeps me plenty warm. Camofire often has options on sale.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For stationary whitetail hunting synthetics all the way. A micro grid fleece from Sitka, Patagonia, Cabelas ect ect will be warmer per its weight then Merino.

14. buckhunter217

buckhunter217 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Polyester holds smell something fierce. I'm a stand hunter who uses merino next 2 skin followed by Polly.

15. Kilted warrior

Kilted warrior Newb

Dislikes Received:
    it begins with the boot. A snug fitting boot can shut down circulation of the blood. Same with tight socks making it difficult to warm those areas naturally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. Kilted warrior

Kilted warrior Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a pair of 800 Alpha Burly with a light sock and a med weight wool. at stand location i place an overshoe on that is the footwarmer cover (same concept as the carpet above). My boots are a half size bigger than what i normally wear so i can move my toes around easily. If you find your feet are sweating walking in. Carry a change of socks and change when you arrive. I make my sock change quick and seal in a ziplock but can make a huge difference in an all day sit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app