Arrow calculation help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by j87harris, Aug 19, 2018.

1. j87harris

j87harris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I posted earlier about the vap XTORSION's arrows and it was brought to my attention they are hard to get so I'm thinking about a different route . Just got my new Halon 32 and current arrows are Maxima red hunters. Total weight is 404gn. 350spine . Bow is set at 60lbs and I am wondering if I could add arrow weight tubes an switch to 125gn heads? If so which diameter tubes do I need? I'm wanting to go with the 5gpi .Arrows are 29in. And would doing all this make the sooner to weak?

2. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    its not going to make it weak with a weight tube, it will actually make it stiffer but those arrows are extremely heavy for GPI so id go with a lighter shaft like a black eagle rampage or a x impact i personally like the x impacts then load up the front weight and get more foc

3. j87harris

j87harris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting for a heavy arrow. According to my math, with the 5gpi weight tubes and a 125gn head I'll be around 574gn for total arrow weight, which is where I'm looking to be. But thank you for the suggestion .

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  4. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Weight tubes do not make the spine stiffer. I would consider better arrow than CX but is you have to stay with those I'd recommend getting a range of field points up to about 145-175 and shooting bareahafts and adding weight till the spine shows weak or you no longer like the trajectory. Then move back to the next weight and you're done.

Ultimately big you truly want a heavy arrow you'll need a stiffer spine than .340 to get you there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dnoodles and j87harris like this.
  5. j87harris

j87harris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply. Sooner or later I am going to be buying new arrows but at the moment the Mrs and I are getting married in Sept and funds are tight. Maybe I'll stick with what I have and play with new arrow setup for next season. I might still switch to a 125gn head

6. plc613

plc613 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might be able to get more than 125. You won't know unless you test it. Besides, having every increment of field point weight in your personal stick is imo critical anyways.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

j87harris likes this.
  7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Weight tubes aren’t the way to go. Sorry but your throwing good money after bad with this.

Your starting point is too light, the shaft and insert. If you not going to build new arrows then just simplify things and up your point weight ...shoot 125 or 150s if you have the spine for it.

dnoodles and j87harris like this.
  8. j87harris

j87harris Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After the responses and thinking about it I have decided to wait until next season to build new arrows especially with the wedding coming in September. I am going to try different field point weights and see what I can get away with .I appreciate the advise!

dnoodles and trial153 like this.
  9. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    im right at the 577 gr mark aswell this should product great results good luck this season

10. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    you can stick with the same weight head if you wanna do a adjustable stainless steel insert from ethics archery

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good decision- Trial is right; don't throw more money into those shafts. If it came down to it you could probably find some CX Pile Drivers for sale online cheap that will get you where you want to be GPI and still be the correct spine for at or under the combined price of weighted sleeves, inserts, new heavier broadheads, etc. If your budget is tight I'd hate to see you put all those resources into shafts that you're going to end up moving away from anyway. Also, you keep throwing more weight on the front end of a weak-spined arrow and you're going to have problems.