scent lock clothing vs. smoking your clothes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mickeyt360, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it works better up north where you have more people with fireplaces or wood burning heat. I have noticed it works better for me in Oklahoma late season when the few houses to the south or north of me fire up the fireplace. In fact, it's why I started smoking my clothes. In Missouri I had great results with using smoke early season but in Oklahoma the older does always seem to know something is up, they may not blow at me but they aren't too comfortable either. Y'all are probably going to laugh at this one but.. for years I have simply buried my outer layers under a red cedar tree skirt using a couple of cotton linen bags. Even if it rains they stay dry. I would smoke the outer layers then bag them up and bury it. It has worked well for me.

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I’d rather try to eliminate as much human odor as possible rather than cover it up. To each their own. Whatever works for you and gives you confidence then do it.

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ive Experienced the same with smoke clothes. Had a huge doe blow at me for what seemed like hrs. Lol.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  4. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The main problem I have with smoke is you have to wash your clothes in about 3 days or it gets a funky sour smell to it. Other than that I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  5. triebs58

triebs58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use fresh earth waffers put my cloths in plastic through them in there leave my clothes in it all year rounds works great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My goal is to be as invisible as possible. I try not to introduce any unfamiliar smells into my hunting area. They may not alert to the smell of smoke, but I believe any "new" smell to an area will typically change their behavior. I believe ScentLok has a proven product that does help conceal human odors, but honestly I like them because they make a great quality garment that is well thought out and purposefully designed. My old ScentLok gear is probably 6 years old and looks as good as new, so if you consider the number of years I have used it, the investment doesn't seem too much. You don't have to constantly was ScentLok clothing, in-fact they recommend only washing it when it is soiled with dirt or blood. Over a season, that can save a fair amount in water and detergent.

mickeyt360 likes this.
  7. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you guys ever had the deer come from Location of your walk in area and this
    Keep me posted on your results I'd be interested in hearing your results. Personally I have had deer come from down wind. they didn't blow but they were alert as if they smelled something but couldn't quite figure out what it was. As I said in the main post. scent lock stuff vs. smoking my clothing the results are around the same. Good luck to you this season!

8. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Still makes me nervous to try Lol. I feel like opportunities are limited especially when you're bow hunting.