Starter plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Peggman1, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Peggman1

Peggman1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    okay guys, I’ve been hunting since before I could walk but this year I’m trying to get down right serious even though it’s starting to get late in the summer. I live in southeast Oklahoma and I have a few fields that I’m cleaning up from years of not being kept up. It’s all cow land so it’s all fertilized pretty good and I’m about to buy a disk for the four wheeler. But the million and one dollar question is what should I plant?!?!?? I could really use so help on this and would appreciate all suggestions

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Getting late in the year for anything but cerial grains here.
    Oats,rye n winterwheat.

Peggman1 likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First plot or expansion I always go with winter wheat or rye.

Peggman1 and copperhead like this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would hit it with some glyphosate and give it a good mowing first. Doors wide open on what you can plant up to September 15th. Cereal rye, winter wheat, winter peas, clovers and brassica. Wheat or rye will be the least expensive and easiest. Saturday I am planting Barley, cereal rye, sugar beets, kale, clovers and winter peas in one plot. Sunn hemp, oats and arrowleaf clover in another and chicory and clover in another. Hopefully it rains Sunday.

Ebaybow, Peggman1 and copperhead like this.
  5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like Okiebob says I would say a few weeks before you plant with glyphosate after mowing. I would start with Winter Wheat, maybe some oats and clover. Then in spring mow it, spray for grasses and overseed with clover again. That will get you a plot with attraction the first year and allow for the clover to establish. The first year it sets up roots and then gets better from there. Then you can maintain it by mowing, spraying and overseeing the clover as needed.

If I could only plant one thing it would be clover. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Peggman1 and Okiebob like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In thinking a little more about it.. may be a little late this year but get the soil tested for your spring plant. You may want to try the Texas, excuse me Fexas A&M food plot method they have been harping about. Clay pea, oats and arrowleaf clover. Plant in late June or early July. The peas go strong all summer and into the fall until a killing frost, then the oats all winter until they head out in the spring and that's when the clover kicks into high gear until June when you replant. The method makes sense and the only substitution I am going to make is blending in a little Sunn Hemp.

Peggman1 likes this.
  7. Peggman1

Peggman1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a small winter wheat plot. Only because it’ll grow in the back of your truck if you leave it to long

8. Peggman1

Peggman1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you got some work ahead of you man! Good luck and let me know how it all turns out

Okiebob likes this.
  9. Peggman1

Peggman1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks and I definitely will

10. Peggman1

Peggman1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to keep that in mind. Thanks man

Okiebob likes this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The funny thing is that I picked this date over two months ago after consulting the farmers almanac. All the rain earlier this week had me worried but I checked the ground last night and it is good to go. Rain moving in strong tomorrow.

12. EvoldedWhitetailSolutions

EvoldedWhitetailSolutions Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Winter rye and medium red clover