Team Juan

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 13, 2018.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First! Team 1 is first.... Not shocking.

I just happened to come on here after lunch today - who am I kidding, I've been waiting for them to post this years teams. Go ahead and check-in, introduce yourself and will mark you off as you join.

Team Members:

Virginia shadow - Checked-In x 2
    Sycamoretwitch - Checked-In
    Junior - Checked-In
    wibowhntr - Checked-In
    Kfili - Checked-In
    Logman - Checked-In
    N0.6Hunter - Checked-In
    Pineywoodsbow - Checked-In
    Kendall Arthur
    TheMathewsGuy - Checked-In
    BigHoss - Checked-In

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    virginiashadow likes this.
  2. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to meeting everyone. A little background on myself and my hunting properties.

Last name is Twitchell - friends call me Twitch. A graduate of Indiana State (Sycamores) - Larry Bird's school and that is where the name Sycamoretwitch comes from. I've never killed a buck out of a Sycamore tree - although I should probably try.

Professionally I am an Employee Benefits Consultant for a large national firm (ONI Risk Partners) - which basically is a fancy way of saying I sell group health insurance.

Got married to my beautiful wife last December and was fortunate enough to harvest a buck prior to all the festivities in November. Oddly enough (or not so much) - we have trail camera pictures of this buck on my 15 acres about a mile down the road just days prior to him being killed - he was on the move quite a bit:

[​IMG]

Will primarily hunt an 80 acre parcel of land located in south central Indiana (Vigo County). Just a mile up the road from that I've got 15 acres behind my house that I have a few stands up and I will monitor it throughout the season - not really adapt at hunting small parcels of land although it gets some big buck traffic from time to time. Both properties are located within about a 5 sq. mile area that I consider to be perhaps some of the best hunting ground in the entire state. In 2015 on a neighboring lease that I was once a member of I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to chase around 190" buck all pre-season through late October before another hunter was fortunate enough to harvest in early November. (We were so close - yet so far).

[​IMG]

In 2016 - a year after eating my tag and missing out on an opportunity to kill a buck of a lifetime I harvested this buck on that same lease (which I have sense let go for other opportunities):

[​IMG]

I'm only running 2 camera's right now - 1 on the 15 acres and another on the 80 acres. Mostly because of our familiarity with the area and to limit the amount of pressure on both properties. So not much to report as far as prospects for this season - I’ve got a few photos that I will share a little later.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Junior likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kill

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Junior and sycamoretwitch like this.
  4. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Logman checking in!

My name is Logan. I will be hunting northern IL and WI this year. I am a very busy man but hope to make my sits this year count! I work full time as a transport registered nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit. I also started full time graduate school to be a neonatal nurse practitioner as well. I am happily married and have three kids under 5 with the youngest being 2 year old twins. Did I say I am a little busy lol!

In all reality, yes I am busy but truly hope to make the hunts this year special. Put up a stand and some cameras Friday so I don't have any scouting pics of deer yet this year. I haven't been able to connect the past couple years but it is not from lack of trying I assure you that! To me every deer shot with a bow is a trophy so teammates....shoot what makes you happy and I will be just as happy! No judging here. I am looking forward to meeting you all and enjoying the comradery that comes with this contest.

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Kill x 2

Junior likes this.
  6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No.6Hunter checking in from Michigan. I will be hunting on 100 acres in Southwest Michigan on my families property. We have had the property for 5 years now and I have been fortunate to take a buck every other year. Good thing is this year is the year I am suppose to do it again. I've harvested two mid 120 bucks and have seen quite a few 140's on cam but never during daylight hours. My biggest challenge is my Canadian trespassing neighbors to the North, they shoot ANYTHING! Hopefully the "Wall" I hinged this spring will keep them out and the big boys in.

First photo is my best two harvested, second photo is my deer from two years ago.

Can't wait to be in the woods! sketch-1534240388755.jpg 20161105_163635.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Junior and sycamoretwitch like this.
  7. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in from West Central Wisconsin. A little bit about myself...my name is Travis, been married 20 yrs to my wonderful wife who lets me hunt pretty much whenever I want and allows me to hang my shoulder mounts in the living room. I have 3 great kids. The two boys are in college and my little princess is going to be a freshman in high school. I will be hunting 100% public land this year. I do hold myself to pretty strict standards...my goal is 4.5 or older no matter antler size. I do have plenty of doe tags so hoping to put some meat in the freezer. Remember guys have fun and shoot what makes you happy, but most importantly stay safe and wear your safety harness. No deer is worth not making it home to your loved ones. When I get some time I will post some of my trail cam pics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

8. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome guys!!

As others get checked-in over the next couple of days feel free to share some team names and self nominate for being team captain. I've done it before and am not interested in doing it again.

I'm pretty sure it's been used before but I'm pretty much good with "Kill" as a team name. I know one person that will vote with me lol

Junior likes this.
  9. TheMathewsGuy

TheMathewsGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! Checking in from Southwest Missouri. My name is Jordan and I've been bow hunting for about 15 years now. It's been so ridiculously dry this summer in Missouri that I haven't even been out to my stands yet. I have three main areas that I hunt and have had some pretty good success at all of them. I'm good for a doe almost every year, and we've had some good deer taken on each farm we hunt. I'm hoping to get out soon to start scouting. Season opens in a month here, so I still have some time. Good luck, everyone!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Junior likes this.
  10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm Brett. I'll be hunting public grounds in central and northern virginia. A lot of the ground will be new to me. Just started scouting the new ground last week.

Junior likes this.
  11. pineywoodsbow

pineywoodsbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in! Looking forward to the season. 8th year bow hunting and taken several does with bow, but not yet a buck. Hoping to change that this year. Will be hunting public land here in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illinois Outdoorsman likes this.
  12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    You have a map of the land? Maybe we can all help you look at the map and figure out some good spots to hunt.

Junior and wibowhntr like this.
  13. pineywoodsbow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for helping, but I am not new to hunting public here, just have had lots of bad luck when it comes to bucks with a bow. Hunted Trad the last 4 years, which didn’t help my odds, lol. Picking the wheel bow back up this year

14. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

Junior and virginiashadow like this.
  15. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    virginiashadow likes this.
  16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone can use some help every now and then with hunting and tips.

17. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
  18. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in here. My name is Kevin and I hunt central VA, hopefully I'll be on the same two properties Ive had permission on last year, one is a 50 acre chuck with some bedding and tons of thick stuff I cant even get through and one is a small 15 acre creek bottom that has a few doe groups and gets a few bucks walking through during the rut, just gotta be at the right place at the right time. Have one camera up on the 50 acre piece (another one just died on me) so hopefully Ill be able to get on some good bucks, I know there are some around!

19. pineywoodsbow

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have some good bucks on camera?
    Mostly just does for me. I do have one guy that’s pretty regular, but I think he needs another year
    [​IMG]

Junior likes this.
  20. BigHoss

BigHoss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone! BigHoss checking in. I don't have any neat trail camera pictures, I hunt mostly public ground but South Dakota opened it's season up early this year so I will be starting September 1st. I'm going out early for a couple days of archery antelope and will see where we go from there. If I see something that peaks our interest I'll stay out on the prairie otherwise I have a few places up high that I like. I'm pretty sure this guy made it through last year.

Attached Files:

Junior, Kfili and virginiashadow like this.