Beginner, budget bows

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by jking1971, Feb 5, 2018.

1. jking1971

jking1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been trying to get back into archery and bow hunting for years. Unfortunately being a single parent with the other a deadbeat it just wasn't in the cards.

But now with the kids out on their own I can't find a reason why not. So I've been boning up on the subject.

Which bow to choose, pse surge, stinger, brute. Bear Marshall ect. Is there really much difference? It seems to me that there is no shortage of really good entry level bows. So much so that my impression is it's really a pick em.

2. Travisk711

Travisk711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot any that have your interest and pick what you feel is the best and the most repeatable with the accessories that you're confident with, its all preference at any price range.

3. jking1971

jking1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's exactly what I would do if I didn't live 2hrs from the nearest pro shop.

4. Travisk711

Dislikes Received:
    That makes things a challenge, but may be worth the time to get the best bow for your preference. Another brand option is Quest, they have used some technology from their sister company Prime and put it into some very nice budget bows. I feel all the companies are making strides in the mid range market to provide a quality product at a good price.

jking1971 likes this.
  5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would take the 2 hour drive and make a day of it. IMO it would be very worth while and you'd leave the shop knowing you had something you were happy with. On paper there are tons of companies producing great quality entry level bows that won't break the bank. But they all feel a little different to every shooter. I don't have a ton of experience but the little bit I do, I'd make the drive. I doubt you'd regret it.

w33kender and WillO like this.
  6. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Exactly this.

At lease you will have piece of mind knowing you tried multiple bows and found something perfect for you, and not wonder if there was something better had you only driven a couple of hours.

w33kender likes this.
  7. jking1971

jking1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So today I had to go to town for funeral services. I figured I'd go early and go try to go to the 2 stores that had archery departments. I only had time to make it to one. But they did have have a shooting lane. So I did get a chance to test drive a pse stinger x. My thoughts were I don't really have any. The bow was light physically light, and seemed smooth and the valley was just suddenly there, same thing with the back wall. It didn't feel any harder to aim than my rifles, just a different sort of sight picture. That will take some getting used to.

It's been so long that the act felt totally foreign, I felt totally out of sorts. I'm not surprised by this I kind of expected that. But my immediate thought was how am I supposed to check out several bows when what I need most is to shoot until I settle in.

So the question I have is. Do I keep trying out bows even though I honestly couldn't tell you what I might, or might not like, or just get an intermediate bow with a really good reputation, that I can learn with, give myself a year and then check out what's out there and see what if something else really does it for me?

The particular bow I shot is priced at $250 rts.

w33kender likes this.
  8. Travisk711

Dislikes Received:
    You can still shoot anything that interests you and see how the draw cycle, backwall, and feel at the shot is. You will notice different characteristics as you shoot different models and hopefully that allows you to find something that fits you. $250 is a awesome price for a entry level and is a great starting point to get back into it!

w33kender likes this.
  9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I realize that your shopping options are limited, but don't be afraid to try/buy used. Easily get a 3yo bow that was $1000 new for half that or even less.

w33kender, WillO and Travisk711 like this.
  10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of good advice so far, esp. those encouraging going to the pro shop. You can't beat that.

Travisk711 likes this.
  11. jking1971

jking1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking at used as well. Found a few possibilities. I get the intention behind recommending pro shops. Problem is that the few that I thought where within a 2hr drive (hiway speeds) are closed. So if I want to try out a bow I'm going to stores (sporting goods, or ranch&home with a sporting goods dept) that have a 10yrd lane. And hope they have something in my price range, and hope the guy behind the counter isn't as ignorant as me. I really do live out in the middle of nowhere, but the hunting is awesome. Gonna check some pawn shops too, maybe I can get them to let me try a few out back.

12. jking1971

jking1971 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well I've tried just about everything in my price range I could find to try in my area. A few I went back to and shot again.

I'm down to this. An 8yo Mission eliminator (?) I liked how it felt, it was really smooth, but the draw was a bit long. I don't like the idea of having to change the cam to adjust draw length.

The other is the pse stinger x I had shot before. This time though the guy I dealt with definitely knew a lot more than the other guys and and got the bow set to me. After a few pointers he asked "how long has it been since you last shot?"
    I told him 20yrs why? He says because you've got them all touching.

I think the pse is going to be taking up residence in my gun room.

Joe Lorensen and Travisk711 like this.
  13. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow.

You definitely did the right thing shooting a few.

14. Moxon Bingaman

Moxon Bingaman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Super noob here, Hey I might not know a lot about bows, but I know a thing or two about buying **** off the internet. You need to brows over the offerings on eBay, gun broker and arms list. I would guess there's something there to suit your needs and for cheap.