Radix cam. Give me the skinny

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by blinginpse, Aug 2, 2018.

1. ESbowhunter

ESbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After seeing boonerville's thread, I'm really interested in picking up a PS2 camera. Anyone know of any sales going on? Wouldn't mind trying one out.

2. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got 4 of em.... Their great!! Best freaking pics taken from a cam... Day pics.. Excellent... Night pics.... Really really good

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone running any of their security boxs

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be the devils advocate and say that my Radix do not take pictures anywhere close to those posted on a regular basis. If the conditions are perfect then yes, but 90% of my pics are super dark and/or blurry at night. The animal has to be COMPLETELY still for it not to blur.

It’s a camera that falls under the category of having to be very specific in how it’s used, if you just throw it up on any tree any expect pictures like the ones posted your going to be disappointed.

Still a work in progress getting mine failed in (and it’s been a year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To be objective here...it's hard to base that on the fact you only have one camera. No not all my pics are perfect...but neither are the pics from any camera. I have motion blur on my $600 Reconyx XR6 cameras too. Every camera has its tweaks; they don't all work the same way. A more accurate way to sate what you said I think would be every Radix camera is capable of producing excellent pics. But each setup, setting, situation, lighting scenario etc etc will make a difference. If truly 90% of your pics are that bad either some setting is jacked up or there is an issue with the camera. I personally have 50+ cameras...40 ish of them being Radix. There are definitely trick to getting good pictures, but I can honestly say zero of them take 90% dark pictures, or even 10% for that matter.

6. blinginpse

Dislikes Received:
    How and where do you usually hang your camera/cameras?

7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    You posted the good, I posted the bad. I also run 50 cams (as we’ve discussed) and all different makes and models. I can place x, y, z camera on field edge and get pictures of animals, I place the radix on the same tree and there 90% dark. It is what it is.

Yes, the Radix can take some phenomenal pictures, but in my year of owning it that is very rare and takes a lot of dialing in.

Here’s a side by side comparison of what I’m talking about. This was one of my better sets of Radix pics, the camera just hasn’t produced as often as others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Every way you can think of.

9. blinginpse

Dislikes Received:
    Do you notice pics being pretty good in a thicker area with something in the background to reflect the light off of to help
    Brighten the night pics?

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I would keep it out of direct sunlight, if the sun is shining right into the camera (or in the field of view) the pictures are simply black.

Boonerville will advise you on the best setups as he runs ALOT more than my one.

11. blinginpse

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I try to always set my cams facing away
    From the sun. I've been tempted to buy 1 and tet it

12. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I would if I was you. I’m still working the kinks out with mine, I love the specifics of the camera a lot, just don’t have a ton to show from it.

13. blinginpse

Dislikes Received:
    Which camera do you have?

14. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Gen 500

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one PS1 last year. To be honest about it I wasn't all that thrilled with it. It was meh and a lot of pics that were too dark, they were clear and crisp just too dark like there was a tinted lens over the camera lens. They weren't blacked out by any means, they just looked like they had 30% tint over them.
    It functioned great in full sunlight and the night pics were okay and it was pretty consistent, decent range and trigger speed, also liked the little size and just 4 batteries instead of 8. Only complaint was too dark pics in the shade and I wasn't a fan of it using a mini SD card...at all. I knew what it used when I bought it, I just didn't like having to keep track of that little sob when I swapped out cards. If I had more than the one camera that used them I probably wouldn't have cared so that's a personal preference.

I still have it and it still functions like new but it hasn't been in the field in 7- 8 months. I had to rob the mini-sd for something else and never bought another one. Mine was on the earlier side of the sales so hopefully they tweaked the settings and fixed the issues I had with mine.

16. Hall77

Hall77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a gen 500 I love it but did have to mess with the setup and settings on the camera to get it right. And the pictures are darker than others but in my opinion they look more natural I just edit the pic if I want it a little brighter. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro