Lets talk Tactacam 5.0

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thoughts on the 8x zoom? I feel like its gonna be too much if theres no option of zoom preference. Anyone thinking about one of these?

2. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on ordering one soon and have been waiting for months for them to be released. I have never used the Tactacam and look forward to it. I like the Facebook live option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    id love to have one or two and the remote but $$$ is unreal

4. Maggieze

Maggieze Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

hammer40330 likes this.
  5. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i bought the 4.0 back in FEB gonna try that this year

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You're gonna need that 8x zoom for those 40+ yarders. :chewy:

cantexian, copperhead, Kfili and 5 others like this.
  7. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So it’s an unethical camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Robson, cantexian and MUDSHARK like this.
  8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I rarley see footage from a tactacam that I think is "good" or enjoy viewing very much, Im no film critic but that view is not for me

cantexian and boonerville like this.
  9. blinginpse

blinginpse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hadn't seen any video that'd even make
    Me think of buying 1.

10. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The videos mounted to bows do have shake but the ones mounted solid see to have decent video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought and used one last late season. Mine is the 4.0. I was hoping they'd do something about the stabilization of video and am hopeful they improve that. With that said, the 4.0 worked great for my needs. I am using more for reference on shot placement and deer reaction, etc., not for high quality filming. I simply run the video through editing software to slow it down, etc., to see shot placement. There is a company called Titanium Archery Products that makes threaded stabilizer extension called a booster. It is supposedly designed to keep the shock away from the camera and improve video. I am going to order one to give it a try.

The problem with the stabilizer mount is that there isn't any sort of interface between the bow and the camera to intercept shot vibe. I noticed with mine, its not bow jump, as my bow doesn't really have any movement. Its just a short buzz at the shot that screws up the video. Hoping the Stabilizer booster improves that.

The new one is intriguing, but like others have said, its rather expensive and the remote device is both bulky looking and expensive as well.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Let me know how that TAP product works out for you. I've looked for side by side example videos of how video looks with the Booster and without it but can't seem to find any. Personally that would be the first thing I would make when I'm selling a product that's supposed to improve your video quality. Should be pretty easy to see the improvement in a side-by-side test. I'm not fully sold on the "our products are made of Titanium so they're great, take our word for it" sales pitch.

Price is in line with other 4K action-style cameras. The GoPro Hero6 and Garmin Virb Ultra are both $400. Same with the remote, it's in line with competitive products.

And yes the remote is a little bulky but to be honest I actually prefer that. It's more difficult to lose and easier to find in my pocket. And we're not talking that it's bulky enough to really make any sort of tangible difference in where or how you carry it. The remote is the same size as the camera itself.

13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Once I get one on my bow to try, I will let ya know. I don't have overly high hopes for it. I also thought about trying a the tiny little Doinker between the bow and camera as well. Anything to intercept the shock before it gets to the camera. I noticed on my bow, the camera movement isn't bad, its the vibration that hurts my quality.

You're right on the price, just a bit more than I'm willing to spend on something like this. Now if the video proves to be very good and the stabilization dramatically improves the quality, i'll definitely think about it for next year.

I was hoping the remotes would resemble small key fob types that you see on your car. That and cheap enough that I could buy several and keep them stashed in my pack, jacket, etc.

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 5.0 on my bow now - I'll try to get some videos this weekend using various mounts and post them as examples for you.

And why would you need more than one remote?

15. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    id like to see Justin (or others in the show) have some cameras closer to deer level and aimed at the most likely shot window, then when the remote turns cameras on youd get the close up of deer and impact without the shake of it being attached to the bow.
    could also put one aimed at a spot you believe you could get video of the back side of a pass through

Justin, make this happen, or.... you could mail me some cameras for free and Ill do it

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Tough to do - but we can certainly try. It's not often you get a deer to stand right where you want them before you shoot. Most of the time you see these types of shots over food plots and it's usually does.

But we're gonna try! Headed to Wyoming soon and I have a couple 5.0's to bring with. I'll keep one on my bow and put the other on a mount out in the field.

Ryan Cornelius likes this.
  17. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unethical camera ...Made my day with this one!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  18. ILL BUCK

ILL BUCK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got the 5.0 yesterday and ordered the tap booster. looking forward to getting some footage this fall.