G5 Montec versus G5 Striker

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JHasty, Jul 26, 2018.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys looking to possibly switch to fixed head this year. I am possibly leaning towards either the G5 Montec or Striker. Trying to get some advise from guys who have use one or both and see if it can help me make a decision. Looking for opinions on arrow flight (accuracy), hole size, blood trail, and how dependable the head is. Thanks in advance.

2. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love my G5 striker’s, very accurate and dependable. Great construction and as advertised great penetration. I feel every situation is different when it comes to blood trails, but when you have two holes they are usually short and easy to follow. Iv harvested only whitetail and black bear with them so far and have never been disappointed in my Broadhead. I shoot the strikers over Montec because I want a brand new blades every time it’s going to be in my hunting quiver. Replacement blades give me that option.

JHasty likes this.
  3. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advise SticknString!!!

4. Taylor.S

Taylor.S Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started shooting the montecs last year shot one doe with them so far. very accurate and sharp. great penetration. Blood trail was very easy to follow with a double lung shot. I've been happy with them so far.

5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I did a fixed head test a few years back. Here's my write up-

https://forums.bowhunting.com/threads/royal-rumble-fixed-broadhead-style.63478/#post-945284

For deer, I would not hesitate to pick the Strikers over Montecs. Sharper and bigger cut. Both fly like darts. But on bigger game the blade steel of the Strikers is a bit too soft- I killed a cow elk with one and it bent a blade pretty bad on a rib.

Last post in this thread:
    https://forums.bowhunting.com/threa...mals-elk-moose-bear.85367/page-2#post-1317928

JHasty likes this.
  6. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting the Montecs for several years now and after trying the Toxic i came back to the Montecs. I have yet to lose a deer when shooting these broad heads, they are easy to resharpen, and dead on for accuracy. I have shot at least three or four other brands but always come back to the Montec. Love em!

JHasty likes this.
  7. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input dnoodles and Brett Smith!!!

dnoodles likes this.
  8. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If anyone wants a free set (3) of Toxic broad head in 100 gr....let me know and I will send them to you.

9. justhunt

justhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I won't shoot Strikers again after switching to Muzzy Trocar. I also killed an elk with the Striker and the whole head came apart. Killed 2 elk with the Trocar and had great performance. They both fly very well. For deer, Striker may be OK unless you get a shoulder.

dnoodles and JHasty like this.
  10. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to montec this year. They fly good for me. Nephew killed a good size doe last year with his crossbow. 50 yard shot he said. Put a perfect shot on it to.

JHasty likes this.