Range finder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MikeK, Jul 31, 2018.

1. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to replace my 10yr old range finder. What brand do you guys recommend? With or with out incline/decline? And something I can afford like under $200, $250 max. My Bushnell works fine but I need 2 hands to hold it and is a little bulky.

2. ProTech

ProTech Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Nikon Aculon. It doesn't range super long distances >400yds and it always has trouble with darker objects... Other than that, it is small and can be operated with one hand.

3. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what brand I been looking at. Guess my biggest thing is the incline/decline really needed for the extra expense or can you go without?

4. ProTech

ProTech Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well, if you're just hunting York, PA, then you can go without... I know... I live in York too! :biggrin:

5. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt the big woods of Potter Co. No 15yd corn row edge chip shot there. Usually 20 to 40yd range. Had to pass on a wall hanger last year straight out in front of me at 48yds. Didn't have that lane cut open good enough. Even if its only 30 or within still like to know how far out that little sapling tree is just so I have that in the back of my mind for when they come in.

6. stewdawg

stewdawg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the land between North Delaware and SE PA
    I went with a Leupold,. It was the cheapest I could find with a red reticle, which makes all the difference when ranging in low-light. Customer service was spot on when I had a malfunction after one season. Free upgraded replacement, no questions asked.

7. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh some fellow PA 5B guys! I’m right across the river in Lancaster!! As far as range finder goes I’m very impressed with my new Leupold full draw RX3 has angle compensation

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT
    100g Slick Trick Standard

8. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i just picked up the Vortex impact 850, I've only tested it out to approximately 200 yards but so far its has been accurate, with consistent readings. good size, fits in your hand well and wont take up much space. Also has angle but have yet to test that, hopefully will be testing that soon. Good luck took me forever to pick mine out.

IH122 likes this.
  9. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Taking a look at all the suggestions. Going to read up on their reviews and make a decision before too long. Price sales I'm a cheap ass but also want the best quality I can afford.

10. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ebay. I just got a Wildgame Innovations Z6X for $40 shipped. Has angle compensation, is very lightweight and only requires 1 hand for operation. It was used but has almost zero signs of use and the only thing missing is the sleeve case which to me is no big deal as small as it it'll go right in my jacket pocket. Just food for thought.

11. HuntinKB51

HuntinKB51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the thread, looking myself!

12. WeThePeople

WeThePeople Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also Lancaster Co here. Wwwwooooo 5B!
    My only advice is to not get the Bushnell bone collector. Mine takes way too much effort and time to get an accurate reading. Lost a buck last year cause I couldn’t get a reading before he walked away. He was in somewhat tall grass. I’m looking at the Vortex 1300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alenhard15 likes this.
  13. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cabela's has the Nikon arrow id 3000 on sale right now for $170. IT seems to have good reviews going to take a closer look at that one. Plus I have a $50 gift card and another $10 promo card making it look better. Good luck to all the 5B hunters!

14. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Nikon Archers Choice with the angle compensation and it has never failed me. I have been using it for a while now with no issues so I haven't had the need to replace it, but when I do need to I am leaning towards Vortex or Leupold.

15. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered the Nikon Arrow ID 3000. Couldn't pass it up with it being on sale $10 promo and the gift card got it for $120 should have it by Friday. Will let you know how it preforms. Go 5B

16. ProTech

ProTech Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great choice! Good luck this year to all 5B hunters!

17. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had picked up a halo rangefinder at walmart a year or so ago and it was under $200 easily and had the angle incline on it. Have had no trouble with it either.

18. Jacob Grimsrud

Jacob Grimsrud Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Leupold Rx-II that works really well. If that took a crap I'd probably go with Nikon or Sig.

19. MikeK

MikeK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got my rangefinder last Friday. Played with it a little Sunday afternoon. Definitely a lot clearer optics than my old one and about a third the size. Like it so far will have to try it out some tonight and when I head up to camp in two weeks to pull cam cards. Hopefully there will be something descent to post on the site.

Bowhunter728 likes this.
  20. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Vortex Ranger 1000 for about 5 years now and it has worked great. I think it retails about $400 CAD, not sure on USD. Their new Ranger 1800 is incredibly fast and accurate. When it is time to upgrade I will be going with it.