Any wisdom??

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Abram, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Abram

Abram Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, guys!! Question...

Deer season is fast approaching and I have been wrestling with my plan of attack in my head. Attached is a small map showing a bean field that I'll be hunting on. I have pictures of nice bucks entering the field but there are two specific bucks I am after this year that are very smart. Based on the trail camera pictures I have so far and after plugging them into DeerLab they very noticeably enter the field based on wind direction.. If there is a south wind the bucks enter the south side of the field. If there is a north wind the bucks general enter the north side of the field.

The BLUE lines indicate the wind direction and the RED lines indicate the buck's routes based on that wind direction. My mineral sight, camera & ladder stand is located on my orange OnX marker.

MY PLAN: I have a Lone Wolf lock on that I'm planning on strategically using based on the wind direction. If the wind is blowing north, I plan on setting up on the north side of their normal entrance to the field & vice versa.

Does this sound like a good plan?? Am I missing out on anything, anything I should keep in mind or is there any other wisdom anyone would like to bestow? I'd appreciate it going into the season. THANKS!

IMG_1966.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can’t get the attatchment to load

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it were I, I would not go after them until they show a pattern in daylight. But if you can attack with minimal adverse condition go for it.
    Let us know how it goes.

Abram likes this.
  4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could not get the attachment to load. I hunt a small 45-acre bean field and it's hit or miss when they will be in the beans. Early season, they were coming in the evening, almost too dark to even see them. From what I've seen last year, the bucks will use the same entry/exit area and stay in the corner or close to the woodline.
    Doe would vary and they would stray into the field a little further than the big bucks. I also found a bedding/nap spot in the middle of the beans, I thought this was odd, but a big 8-foot flat spot with trails going to it proved me wrong.
    I also had awesome pictures of daytime bucks doing the same thing day after day, until opening day...never saw them use the same trails again, and I was doing my best to play the wind.

5. Abram

Abram Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Got it up now! Sorry

6. Abram

Abram Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Fixed it! my bad... Dude. They do the same thing in this bean field. They'll come out and eat and then bed right in the middle of the beans.

7. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    look at you getting all analytical!

you threw me off with the wind directions you described. typically we describe wind from the direction it’s comjng from, not going. so a north wind is coming from the north.

but i think i figured out what you meant, and your plan seems reasonable since you’ll be downwind of the bucks if they enter where you have patterned them to enter from. you could also consider setting up back in the woods on a trail heading toward the beans.

Shocker99 likes this.
  8. Abram

Abram Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sadly, that is a neighboring land and I don't have permission to hunt on it. Long story short, the neighbors aren't too nice... ahaha

9. MSBK18

MSBK18 Guest

Looks like it’s not an ideal bean field set up because there is no afternoon shade. That will tend to make the deer show up later in general.

You don’t mention the terrain. Is this flat ground? Are the deer coming out of hollers or down off ridges. This is important for afternoon hunts because thermals are key.

In general though you seem to be taking the right approach given the info you have provided.

10. Abram

Abram Newb

Dislikes Received:
    On that part of the farm is generally flat.. Not very hilly at all.