Hunting alone or with someone?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cml5895, Jul 11, 2018.

?

What's your preference?

1. Hunt alone

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. Hunt with a partner or group

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not sit with anyone but I am always traveling to our hunting spots with my dad and really love spending the time with him in the woods!

Adam
    Matthews Z7 Magnum 29/70
    Gold Tip Hunter XT
    100g Slick Trick Standard

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alone unless I take a kid hunting.

4. EastTXBowhunter

EastTXBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Normally would have teamed up with my dad, but he lost his ability to hunt after brain surgery a few years back, so the time that I have logged in the stand has been solo.

5. Dropshot2009

Dropshot2009 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt with my 2 best friends every day if it were possible. Love having the ability to bounce ideas and scout with but typically I hunt alone which is still really nice

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely hunt alone these days. I spent many years doing just that though. I know it sounds a bit cheesy but I enjoy the hell out of taking new folks hunting and being part of their "first" experiences in the deer woods. 1st sightings, 1st miss, 1st kill, 1st rut, etc., etc. It's just a lot of fun to me. I also really love just a hunting camp atmosphere where a couple or few of us hunt together, eat good food, and tell lies ;)

I still get a few quick evening hunts in every now and then and I'm sure when I get a little older and have some more time I may start chasing some bucks around again but right now I prefer hunting with others.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really enjoy both, and I usually have spots for both as well.

It's difficult to find others that you can hunt with where there is truly zero friction, you have to be pretty selfless when sharing spots to make that happen and I've found over the years it's pretty hard to find that in a hunting partner. When you do find it though, some of the very best times I've had hunting have been shared with that circle of friends. I miss the camp camaraderie, etc that you typically find back east as well very much, you just don't see it often in the midwest I've found unless you're road tripping to new places with a friend, etc.

With that said there are definitely times I enjoy being 100% solo as well. I've found that in order to hunt the way that I've been most successful at taking mature deer, it's often not the most considerate to others if you're sharing the property. It's nice to have spots that I can get as aggressive as I want or feel I need to without worrying about burning it for others and many of those types of hunts are the ones that have produced the best deer I've been fortunate to take. I try hard to only hunt that style in spots where I don't have to worry about burning it for others.

NEW61375 likes this.
  8. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like having others hunt with me but not necessarily at same stand. Almost like hunt camp I supposed. I dont mind hunting myself in a stand, but also dont mind having a person with me in stand or blind either.

9. HuntinKB51

HuntinKB51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love deer hunting with my son, we are a team! Time spent with your children as you and they get older is a blessing! Otherwise always alone.

Logman likes this.
  10. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alone for me. We basically hunt alone anyway, we don't sit in the same stand with someone else, so why throw someone else into the equation who will likely be late anyway? Last thing I wanna do is get up at 4AM, drive to pick up a hunting buddy, and then have to drag him out of bed and wait for him while he takes his morning dump, showers, and then wants to stop to get coffee and doughnuts on the way. No thanks, I'll meet you at 11am at the cars...AFTER hunting. We'll chat and get coffee then!

11. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A friend of mine growing up through school introduced me to her boyfriend - who then took me hunting for the first time in my life in which I shot a nice 8 point buck.

Several years later they get married - then divorced. Several years later he's a groomsman in my wedding. Now my neighbor in the country a few acres in-between our houses.

He's got a private property that he hunts solo and we've got a leased property about 2 miles down the road that we both hunt. We work on stands together. Check cameras. It's fun having someone to bounce ideas off of and be able to share in success and failures. We don't always agree - but we have a mutual respect for one another and how we hunt.

Other than obviously introducing me to the sport he's taught me a lot along the way. I'd like to think I've made him a better hunter too - he convinced him a few years back to start wearing a harness. I've made him focus more on his entry / exit strategies than he ever did. etc.

cml5895 and NEW61375 like this.
  12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I welcome ppl to hunt with me on my land. As I hunted all but 6 days last year I get enough alone time in the stand. I have even brought ppl from this forum to my property.

cml5895 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Other than with my kids who are grown now,,, 100% alone. Now Elk hunting is a different story!

14. J_Carnley

J_Carnley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly I’m by myself but that gets old. I have maybe 3 -4 people I can tolerate in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. adam89

adam89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with my girlfriend nothing like sharing memories and having quality time out in the woods. I dont know about most people but finding a girl who is willing to get up early and sit out in the cold weather with you is hard to come by. P 20171122_092012.jpg lus she helps keep me calm when the deer come in and also a extra set of eyes to help spot what I may miss

16. Jonathan Barlar

Jonathan Barlar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt alone 90% of the time but I prefer hunting with others and then meeting up after the hunt to discuss things.

17. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually go the first 2 weeks solo then after that I usually end up going with my dad.

18. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I sit/hunt alone 95% of the time, but have a lifelong hunting partner who I hunt the same properties/ hunt out of state with. He holds me responsible for getting my butt out of bed in the am, since hes more of a morning person lol.

19. Cayden

Cayden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to sit alone but love the camaraderie of having people at camp and hearing all the stories of there hunts.

20. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think my biggest pet peeve of sharing a hunting spot with someone is that unless you have great compatibility with each other, there will be tension and friction between you. I have a friend who I can absolutely hunt with every day, we have had some amazing local and out-of-state hunts and never seem to have issues. That being said, he's moving 2,000 miles away at the end of the month which is going to switch me to pretty much an alone hunter (which I enjoy most). For the 1 friend that I like to hunt with, there has been countless that haven't worked out. Even if we are great friends out of the woods.