First time fletching

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alenhard15, Jul 10, 2018.

1. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A guy at my new job offered me a bitzenburger with a right and left helical clamp for $20 so I couldn’t pass it up, got some blazer vanes and wraps and thought I would give it a try. I didn’t realize how much of a left helical I put on them until I finished! Very happy with the results though. The last picture is my first group at 80 yards with them. This helical easily cut 3-4 inches off of my 80yard group. The only thing I am wondering about is the benefit of using a helical with a fixed blade broad head. I got the slick trick standards for this season, from what I read the helical should help with the broadhead flight, what do you you guys think? IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1698.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Bob Thomas likes this.
  2. JimmyQ

JimmyQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The helical should definitely help with fixed blades. It will spin the arrow faster and lead to better/ faster stabilization. I shoot about a 3 degree right helical with G5 montecs and there is little to no variation from my field points. As long as your spine is correct and all equipment is tuned it should be a killer set up.

alenhard15 likes this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am experimenting with fletching my own arrows for the first time this year as well. I set mine with a 1 degree left offset since bare shaft tuning showed they spin left. I have not shot further than 30 yards yet with them, but it is looking good so far. I shoot Slick Trick Magnums. I am not anticipating fixed blades causing a problem.

alenhard15 likes this.