Landowners and Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by donut757, Jul 6, 2018.

1. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have tried to search and do a little digging in here, but not coming up with anything.

Me and a buddy, childhood friend, just purchased a small peice of land. We are looking to get Liability Insurance just to cover the “What Ifs”. For any of yall that are landowners, who have you gone through for Liability insurance.

I have talked to my Home, Business, and Auto company and they ahev dragged their feet getting back to me and couldnt hive me an answer immediately and that kind of turned me off. I know a lot of landowners carry an Umbrellas Policy to protect assets, but with land being in both out names that wont work for our set up.

Appreciate any help, advice, or guidance anyone can offer.

2. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    blackbear likes this.
  3. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if this will help but a buddy of mine is in a car pool to get to work and the group bought a van to drive. They ended up creating an LLC and the van is owned by the LLC. They all pay into an account owned by the LLC and the LLC pays for insurance and maintenance. You could create an LLC that owns the land and pay insurance with the LLC.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any company that writes farm insurance should write a policy for liability in both names. The LLC idea is good advice. Having anyone sign any kind of waiver does absolutely nothing. You can not waive liability.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In some cases your existing home owners policy may already cover you if there are no structures on the property. But I agree with DrivingTacks and Fletch920 the LLC route gives you the most protection as your personal assets are now out of scope if anything would happen.

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about the "what ifs" but I am now curious if what we've been doing is wrong as far as hunting and permission to hunt. On our property if we allow anyone to hunt we have them sign that waiver which is from the Virginia Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries. We have been under the impression that would cover us if someone we granted permission to had and accident, injury, etc. Is that not correct? Does it vary state to state?

I was able to find this as far as Code of VA Wildlife Laws but Section D still seems a little grey to me??

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title29.1/chapter5/section29.1-509/

7. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: