FOC

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Csubucs76, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Csubucs76

Csubucs76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Say I have 2 arrows. Arrow a is 500 grains and has 20% FOC. Arrow b is also 500 grains but has 10% FOC. Assuming each arrow has the same broadheads and all the variables with the compound bow are the same, would their be any measurable distance in arrow flight, accuracy and penetration?

2. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Penetration would be more with “a”
    It will have more of an arc trajectory because of its nose weight. And accuracy wouldn’t really be a big deal unless you shot out to 100yards maybe. In that case the balanced arrow will have less wind drift and all that.

If I hit you as hard as I could with a 10lb sledge hammer with the head in my hand it would hurt but you’d be okay. If I turned it around and put the head out... well your family will be planning a funeral.

Same hammer. Same weight.
    It’s not a direct analogy but it’s pretty much the same. The closer the mass is to the point of impact the better for penetration.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All variables the same except F.O.C....you not going to see and statistical meaningful difference.

4. Csubucs76

Csubucs76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Because I'm thinking about switching to fmjs or a some type of heavier arrow. I currently should gold tip hunter xt. But to save some cash I will have a slightly heavier arrow than stock fmj w
    If I put a 50 grain insert in my gold tip and I would get better foc with the gold tip and insert over stock fmj. Am I on the right train of thought?

5. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    foc is just going to stabalize the arrow sooner causing it to retain more energy for example i have a 505 grain set up at 25% foc and a 596 grain set up at 20% according to Dr.Ashbys studies penetration greatly increases above 19% foc. due to the arrow stabalizing and not losing energy as quickly.

dukester78 and Aaron Jones like this.
  6. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion is the higher the FOC the better.
    The next arrow I go with will be a “lighter” arrow with heavy inserts up front for a 20 or higher FOC.
    The arc will be greater but the accuracy will be better and much better penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Csubucs76

Csubucs76 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If
    If I did go with a heavier insert on the arrows, say 50 grain insert, how much will the spine be affected. I shoot 300s hunter xt.

8. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you just call Good tip they will be more than happy to walk you through everything. They have great customer service. And will point you in the right direction for spine and all that. Also some pro shops will use a 3rd party software to estimate the best spine. But if you’re going to make an error I would say error on the side of stiffness.

I’d recommend the Kinetic Kaos. You’ll get small diameter (great for wind), a heavier GPI, and with the insert and collar you’ll get about 45-50 grains out front extra. Throw on a 125 grain head and you’ll probably have some pretty good FOC. You could even add on their Fact system which is just a modular weight and that’s another 20 grains which will be close to 500 grains total I believe. Plus those arrows are tough as nails.

Csubucs76 likes this.
  9. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definatley will want to go with a stiffer spine if you up FOC.

No difference in arc. My hunting arrows have a higher FOC than my target arrows (same bow, same spine, same weight within +/- 2 grs) and have the same impact point(s).

FOC will change the center of mass of the arrow, the neutral point for flexure. Shorter length of the bending moment up front will give rigidity to the front of the arrow. This increases penetration potential.