Video of a rub starting and maintained via trail cam

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Huntzilla, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Huntzilla

Huntzilla Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys, I got lucky and caught this rub being made and maintained on my trail cam. Pretty cool stuff. There’s a lot of stuff on this video that knocks what I was told about rubs growing up. Anyway, check it and let me know what you think. Oh and the rub is about 5-6in in diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Thx for sharing the video. Always interested in trying to understand what goes on during the prerut/rut stages. Just curious, was it dumb luck that your camera caught it or did you set it up to watch it? I've put cameras on scrapes for the past 3 seasons and have learned a ton from them.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. Huntzilla

Dislikes Received:
    It was dumb luck lol I had that camera sitting there since September. I actually checked it all through the summer but didn’t have any bucks. I believe the majority of the deer were bedded about 2 miles away near a bunch of ag fields. I could go into detail ab that but from trail cam pics that’s just what I gathered. Once the acorns dropped and the fields were cut these deer started showing up. This section is landlocked. Only way to get there is by boat or a 6 mike walk through some real nasty ass terrain (I’ve done it before). I failed to mention that this is in AR on public land. My boat was messed up so I never got a chance to go back there. One day in December it got warm so I took a kayak back there to retrieve my cams. Annnd wahlah I had this. What sucks though is that I had a real hot mock Scrape that my trail cam failed me on. I mean dirt was kicked up everywhere and there were rubs but no pics during the past couple months... I was just sick... and it was the most expensive camera I had.... here’s the mock Scrape https://instagram.com/p/Bcly35ylhMt/ next year I plan on doing some horizontal rubs. Def some mock scrapes!

pastorbigdan likes this.
  4. Jraley

Jraley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great info! Thanks for sharing that.

Out of curiosity, what did you do to set up your mock scrape? Did you use any scent? Was it in an area where you found scrapes in previous years?

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Huntzilla

Dislikes Received:
    I used tinks power Scrape and code blue rack rub on the licking branch. I had 2 set up and only one took off. Both places didn’t have Scrape activity prior or the year prior, I should say. The one that didn’t take off did have a couple of good rubs nearby. It was also at the top of a ridge. I had a few bucks use t but that was it. When I came back in December it wasn’t used at all. It had leaves over it and there wasn’t any activity. The one that did work was like I said at the bottom of the ridge and there was a ditch that acted like a funnel. One thing I’ll mention too is that the deer activity was totally different in the summer. I had no action at all. It wasn’t til October that all my trail cams started picking up. Could be because the crops got cut on the other side of forest or the acorns started dropping. I dunno but things started picking up mid October. I think having a natural funnel helped. I’ll definitely use them in some key areas next year or at least get the existing scrapes now started early next year. I really wished I would’ve got that camera to work on that Scrape. A lot of info I would’ve liked to see.